Tool depths

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
oakes3

Tool depths

Post by oakes3 »

I have a Freud 1/8" round nose bit I would like to use with Aspire as a finishing cutter.

Its cutting edge is only 23/64" deep though. How do I limit the depth it is trying to cut so it doesn't cut too deep?

In the tool edit page I can set the depth per cut, but can't see where to specify max depth for that particular tool.

Thanks

David
www.CribbageGuy.com

RoutnAbout
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 24x18 Desktop

Re: Tool depths

Post by RoutnAbout »

oakes3 wrote:I have a Freud 1/8" round nose bit I would like to use with Aspire as a finishing cutter.
Its cutting edge is only 23/64" deep though. How do I limit the depth it is trying to cut so it doesn't cut too deep?
In the tool edit page I can set the depth per cut, but can't see where to specify max depth for that particular tool.
Thanks
Oakes3, Welcome to the forum,
When you create your profile or pocket toolpath, a window opens up (like the image I've posted below).
This is where you set your max tool depth for that tool during that toolpath.
Attachments
final_cutdepth.jpg
Roll of Honor <-- Never Forget
________
Don

Turtle49
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 4' EZ-Router and Blurry customs SK25

Post by Turtle49 »

oakes3 wrote:I have a Freud 1/8" round nose bit I would like to use with Aspire as a finishing cutter.

Thanks
Oakes3 Welcome to the forum!

I think what your looking for is the "Pass depth" in the tool database. This will not limit the cut to be no more than 23/64", but it will stop the bit from cutting more than say 1/16" at a time. That will stop the bit from being overwhelmed.

In addition to that, during your finish cuts you don't typically cut more that 0.04" at a pass anyway. The roughing tool path will usually clear all but 0.04" away before you run your finish cut.

Does that make sense?
Tim
:D
Tim Hornshaw
www.HornshawWoodWorks.com

RoutnAbout
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 24x18 Desktop

Post by RoutnAbout »

Sorry Oakes3, I misread your post. Tims post is what your looking for.
Thanks Tim.
Roll of Honor <-- Never Forget
________
Don

oakes3

Post by oakes3 »

RoutnAbout wrote:Sorry Oakes3, I misread your post. Tims post is what your looking for.
Thanks Tim.
Actually, you gave the answer I needed - Maybe I explained wrong.

The tool widens significantly after 23/64" so if it tried to cut a deeper narrow slot or pocket it would jam against the top surface, no matter how much was cut per pass.

Thanks to you both though for the quick replies.

I need to learn a lot more about pocket cuting, and effective tool use.

David
www.CribbageGuy.com