net1.jpg
net2.jpg

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Re: hand scan an object and create a file for aspire and cut

Post by Leo »

Stan,

Can you tell us more about that hand scanner.

Brand
Where to purchase
price
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Has anyone tried Photogrammetry? I just downloaded a opensource program called Meshroom. I'm running the first model generation right now.

I'm curious how Photogrammetry stacks up to a scanner. Not a mega priced scanner, but one the average hobbyist might be able to afford.
John
Maker of Chips

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

OK yes I know, it's a rock, but the process was simple and the results are pretty impressive.
I'd say more experimenting is in order....
Original Pic (one of many)
Original Pic (one of many)
Object loaded into 3D Builder
Object loaded into 3D Builder
Imported into Aspire
Imported into Aspire
John
Maker of Chips

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

John (Mr Highpockets) it seems that GMTA.

I have been investigating the photogrammetry stuff for about a week now. Have even designed a rig to hold the camera while the turntable, well, turns. Just need to haul my bones to the lumber place for some plywood.

Curious, how many pics did you take and how long did it take to process them? I downloaded the free Regard3D software and it is pretty darn slow even with a small "dataset". (why they cannot call them pictures is beyond my comprehension)

One guy I watched on YouTube dusted shiny stuff down with baking soda, then his model looked like it grew a bad case of pimples, all over. I am thinking maybe talcum powder. And then I see some folks sticking little marker dots on the model but I have not seen any real explanation yet.

This whole thing goes back to a project I have had on the rear burner for at least a year. What would be really nice is to be able to scan hand carvings. Then fatten them up a bit and remove most of the detail. The result is called a "roughout". The local carving club would be interested in them. Most of the carvers get tired of the band saw routine, then wasting away all sorts of wood. They just want to get down to the details which are the fun part of carving. I could spin these up easily on the rotary axis.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

Hey Ted,

First off the "rock" was a set of 50 pics I downloaded from a Meshroom tutorial. I wanted to make sure the software would work on my computer before wasting time taking pics of an object of my own.

You might Google Meshroom it's free also and seems to be pretty fast at processing. Of course that all depends on the speed of your computer. It took my computer right at 20 mins to process the 50 rock pics.

I figure talcum powder would work well, there's also a photographers dulling spray, Krylon makes some. I've also seen the dots used as well as using a marker to put dots all over the model.

As to the turn table I've read pros and cons using one with photogrammetry, but I figure to try it with and with out a turn table just for grins.

Seems like cutting "roughouts" would be a great project once you get the steps worked out.
John
Maker of Chips

BradyWatson
Vectric Craftsman

Post by BradyWatson »

The 'dots' you see stuck all over parts are called alignment markers. Some scanners (usually hand helds) require these in order for the scanner to know where it and the part are in XYZ space. They can also be helpful if there isn't enough unique geometry between overlapping scans for proper registration - such as a smooth tube or large flat area. The dog & pony show you see with most hand held scanners - don't really show you the alignment markers or the process of removing them from the scan data. They can be a real pain in the butt for certain jobs and the software required (like the Geomagic software Stan shows) is around $15k(!) to sense, remove and heal the surface. Some scanner software has this ability built in.

Photogrammetry can be fun, but what you get is far from reliable. Even with a calibrated DSLR camera and ideal shooting techniques, the level of detail you can expect to capture is usually no more than 1 to 3 mm. Even with professional photogrammetry software, you'd be hard pressed to get results reliable enough to say that you have the ability to replicate something reliably with correct proportions and scale. However, for free form reliefs - particularly large ones or things that cannot be moved, PG can help at the very least, to get some base geometry/shapes that you can further develop/sculpt in software.

A few weeks ago I was called out to scan the ship's bell from the original USS NJ Battleship. Someone tried to capture the shape of the bell and lettering using photogrammetry, but came up short. None of the lettering (only .05 deep, with black paint and hand punched texture) showed up as 3D geometry - only photographic texture - so they called me out to 3D scan it. I felt bad for the guy who tried photogrammetry because I know it was a lot of work - only to be left frustrated.

At first glance, one would think it would be easy to just get the profile, spin it and add the lettering. However, this particular shape was not conducive to that because the lettering would have been stretched both radially and longitudinally - making it nearly impossible to get it correct. I call this compound polar distortion and anyone who has done extensive rotary indexer work will understand exactly what I mean.
BellCrop (Medium).jpg
IMG_0191 (Medium).jpeg
3DBell.jpg
Photogrammetry has its place - but it doesn't do so well for practical things you might cut on your CNC. Again - it can certainly be fun if you are just messing about (and not too serious/hard on yourself about the outcome)...

If you need something for real - just send it out and get it scanned. It's cheaper and better than anything you could do yourself.
High Definition 3D Laser Scanning www.IBILD.com

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

(NICE job on that scan Brady!!!:)
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

If you need something for real - just send it out and get it scanned. It's cheaper and better than anything you could do yourself.

A few years ago I bought a David-Vision 2 Scanner, including the software, which I was in it about $3,500. I never was satisfied with the results and always had to bring it into ZBrush to finish sculpting it to get it good enough to 3-D print or cut out on the CNC. Most times it was more work than it was worth, so I finally sold it on EBay for a few hundred dollars. The picture is one of the better results.

Gary
Attachments
Capture.JPG

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Yup, this is another example of needing different tools to do different types of work.

For some odd reason many people are wired to think there is "the best" tool that does everything great.

This is an interesting situation in that for once, most of us can give something a try without investing any money.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns