Jack Lift Platform—Need help to build

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
JoniEl
Model of CNC Machine: Stepcraft M.1000 & D2-840 (Lasering)

Jack Lift Platform—Need help to build

Post by JoniEl »

This construction is for the purpose of lifting logs, scuptures, & other objects up through the bottom of my CNC to machine with Toolpaths made in Aspire. I can’t afford to buy a lift jack or table jack, so I’m trying to make one from a scissors jack I already own, the connection option on the jack to probably a 2x12x12 plank is unusual, tricky, and awkward. Here are two images of the jack’s required connecting “ziggurat” shape that I need to make a hole for:
Figure 1
IMG_2889.jpg
Figure 2 from the side:
IMG_2888.jpg
I don’t know if Aspire’s 2D tools can construct such a shape. It would be nice if it can, but since I don’t know how, I started with this 3D build, but don’t know how to do more—even to the point of getting the slope down to the .2” base that the “ziggurat” sits on.

2 components from Create 3D shape:
Model start for Lift Jack Support.jpg
This approach—once I get the sloped part against the rectangular base (changing base height isn’t so far getting me what I want)—would make for a lot of sanding off of the 4 or 5 slopes, and doesn’t make a promise for accuracy.
One I get the correct shape, I’m assuming I can put these into Subtract-Combine into the 2” model material and cut the hole out of the plank to allow it to sit on the jack snugly. Then I can drill a hole to run a bolt up through, and secure with a nut below the top surface.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: Jack Lift Platform—Need help to build

Post by mtylerfl »

Looks like a two-rail sweep model candidate. Draw the cross section profile and sweep that between a couple appropriately spaced straight line vectors.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

JoniEl

Post by JoniEl »

Thx Michael for your suggestion about the sweep.
I can picture drawing from the X point of view, even doing a sweep (from the 2 angled in sides??). But i can't see how that could be turned into a Z view. Perhaps that's common & easy to do.
But even more perplexing than those guesses would be with a picture to draw the piece looking down at the round hole on top, & drawing those angles & curves.
I guess i'd have to turn the final drawing upside down for cutting the shape into the plank base.
i believe i'm outta my depth. -Jon

ozymax
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home built cnc router using Masso G3.

Post by ozymax »

Why not modify the jack then?
Is there a specific reason you need that shape for lifting?

JimmyD
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRSalpha, custom rotary indexer

Post by JimmyD »

I suggest that you're making this harder than it needs to be. You will need something supporting/guiding the ends of the board you are trying to lift as it will just wobble and tip if it is only on the one jack and nothing else.
Take a look at one of my older posts and see what I did for basically the same problem.

viewtopic.php?t=21487

JoniEl

Post by JoniEl »

ozymax wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:31 am
Why not modify the jack then?
Is there a specific reason you need that shape for lifting?
Actually the jack is special compared to others i've checked out because it has a hole at the top which will allow me to bolt the plank table to the jack. This will help to diminish or stop the wobble JimmyD speaks of in the next reply.

So Michel's idea of the 2 Rail Sweep clues & directions about sinking it seems good like a hand-in-glove to also stabilize the connection between the 2.