slats layout

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
Al Allison
Model of CNC Machine: Shop Sabre 4896

slats layout

Post by Al Allison »

Can anyone point me to a tutorial on the layout geometry of a set of "slats", say for a contour chair. I want to place a number of slats on a curved profile for a chair seat. Slats are 1.5" x .75" I want a .5" spacing between the slats on the top, where you sit, so they will all have the same "feel", and whatever it takes to fit the curve of the seat on the bottom of the slats.

I am trying to make the curve of the seat,
then offset it by .75", '
make a profile of the slat,
and space that slat profile with .5" spacing on the offset of the curve of the seat profile.
Then the slat bottom should fall on the seat profile

I am having trouble getting the repeated placement of the slat profile to be spaced from the top edge of the slat.

TIA for suggestions.

Martin Reid
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot

Re: slats layout

Post by Martin Reid »

Dear Al

I see you didn't get much response to your post. Beside I suppose you have probably solved your troubles by now.

Anyway I thought I would give it a go and then thought perhaps I'm missing something but could you not just lay the slats out on the setting out.

The attached image will show some 45x20 slats laid on a curved shape with 13mm spacing (6½ added to each slat). Each slat is laid and rotated to 'sit' on the curve.

Anyway that's my two penn'orth.

Sincerely and in good faith
Martin
Attachments
Layout slats on curve
Layout slats on curve

Gasawdust
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: AVID 48x48

Post by Gasawdust »

Search on Maloof style Rockers posted by Russell Crawford.

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

Draw the slat. Draw the curve. Use the Copy Along Vectors tool (Bottom row of tool icons.)
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

Take your curve that represents the top of the slat. From the start of the first slat, draw a circle with a 1.5" radius, with the center on the start of the curve. The slat starts at the end of the curve, and ends where the circle intersects the curve.

Now, where the circle intersects the curve (slat end), draw another circle with a radius of 0.5". Where it intersects the curve, defines the gap.

From that point, repeat from the beginning, and you'll have evenly spaced slats.

I'd draw lines between the intersecting lines and circles, then offset them for the bottom of the slats.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com