Running Aspire Tutorial Programs on Windows XP

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
cliff20
Model of CNC Machine: Tormach 110

Running Aspire Tutorial Programs on Windows XP

Post by cliff20 »

I am trying the Aspire Tutorial program to see if I can use it successfully with the Mach3 on my Tormach 1100 mill. My computer is running Windows XP and I can't view the tutorial programs. I keep getting a message that Windows can't open MIME files. Which all the tutorial files are in.
Can anyone advise me on a conversion program I can use to convert these MIME files to something that Windows XP can view ? Aspire looks like a terrific program in capability, but needs some clarification on this problem.

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Re: Running Aspire Tutorial Programs on Windows XP

Post by ger21 »

The tutorials are not MIME files. the issue is likely with your default program settings for file types.
Which tutorials are you trying to view? You may need to install a video player that can handle them.
Issues like this can happen when you are using a nearly 20 year old operating system.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Have you downloaded the videos or are you trying to watch them online? Online is not going to work as browsers that support XP are years out of date with web standards.

cliff20

Post by cliff20 »

I've tried both on line and downloading them. Same result across a gray screen where the video would be, "No video with supported format and MIME type found."
I can find support for the browser for XP easily enough. The problem I'm having is "what format is the Trial video in that I am trying to find a converter for, if it isn't this MIME ??
I have tried all the tutorial programs. I run XP because the computer is totally dedicated to the CNC machine. It runs the Aspire so far perfectly, other than the videos, and Mach 3 machining program without any problems so far. Once I find out what does what in the tutorial, there is no reason to get something more up to date that has a bunch of app's I'll never use. Fact is, if the software didn't look so good, I'd of passed on it simply because I can't print out any manual on it. The help page isn't very clear if you don't have an idea of where something is, or a search capability to find it. A serious oversight for potential buyers for a program over 2 grand.
Sorry, getting a little frustrated.

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

The videos are .MP4
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

The help pages are fully interactive. Click on the icon or tab in the pictures that you want help with and it will drill down to explain that exact function. You can also use the search function in whichever browser you're using or you can load the PDF version and print that out.

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

No need to defend your use of XP, I have an XP machine that I use exclusively for playing old video games.
You also cannot blame a company for not catering to a tiny fraction of folks who still might be using a decades old, heavily outdated, unsupported OS.

If "the computer is totally dedicated to the CNC machine", then you wouldn't be surfing the web on it anyways.
My [Windows 7] CNC machine computer isn't even connected.
In the long run [since you will be constantly running into issues like this] is to upgrade to a modern computer and OS for any web browsing.
Doug

cliff20

Post by cliff20 »

Gentlemen, I thank you for the responses. MP4 ! Okay, that helps a bunch in narrowing down the field.
And yes, frustration was creeping in there after a week. Still a little paragraph on such difficulties would probably help sales. I notice looking through the forum that there are more than 2 of us using XP. I'm just not computer literate enough as most of you.
Anyway, I'll give an update for the forum record on how things turn out. Meanwhile, thanks again for your time and insight.

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

XP rocks, probably overall the greatest OS in history.

Things being what they are with software though, once they pull support and updates they are toast and very vulnerable.
I wouldn't feel comfortable connecting an XP computer to the internet, and AV software could potentially interfere with the CNC process.

In any case, best of luck, tutorials are top notch [I miss James but am mesmerized by the voice of the female, love the accent].
Doug

Dale1944
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Router Homemade

Post by Dale1944 »

I am running Windows 2000 Professional on my CNC machine. It is not connected to the internet or my home network. I use "sneaker net" to load g-code. Rather primitive, but Win 2K runs Mach3, and that is all I want on that machine. I want no conflicts on that machine. I can find enough ways to mess things up without adding issues there.

Mike-S
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Joe's Hybrid 4x4 (but 3x3)

Post by Mike-S »

Will Aspire 9 run on XP?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Mike-S wrote:Will Aspire 9 run on XP?
Yes but it has to be Windows XP with Service Pack 3.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Mike-S wrote:Will Aspire 9 run on XP?
Might also depend which version of XP, (Pro or Home), don't think it has been extensively tested but I had it running on XP pro, 32 bit version, SP3 & it ran OK for general vector work, I found it to be really slow (compared to my design computer) when trying to do 3D work & toolpathing but with less than 4 gig Ram available for 32 bit programs that is only to be expected :lol: :lol: :lol:

rrrevels
Vectric Craftsman

Post by rrrevels »

I run XP sp3 on my shop machine and it works fine with Aspire 9, not as fast as my Win 7 I5 but for me that isn't an issue. I have Aspire on this one just for touch up and corrections from my design computer. This computer is a 16 year old pentium 4 2.1ghz. Never connected to the internet and it runs like it did new. I transfer the files with a usb stick.

Russ
CAMaster MC3050-R w/steppers and Mach3, Aspire 8.02 D&C Series 1A &1B - Wildlife Scenes

cliff20

Post by cliff20 »

Well guys, this is kind of a follow-up on my problem of opening the Tutorial .exe files in Windows XP. I never found the problem. But I did finally take some of your advice and got a new, used computer with Windows 10 :( , and behold, it worked fine. I then bought the Aspire program, and instantly found that it was well worth the effort.
It is quite the program, and I'm impressed with it's capabilities. I work mostly in metal, and to any of you that may notice that few on the forum use Aspire on metal, and may be wondering about its ability, or accuracy in doing so, "it does so just fine". It is simply a matter of having a machine that is has the strength and stiffness to work metal. It has absolutely nothing to do with the Aspire programs ability to maintain the increased accuracy that may be needed at times.
It is not a refined production output program that maximizes each machine movement, but that is not that much of a concern to me. I do custom belt buckles and knives on the side. Most of my work is one or two pieces. So accuracy, capability, and ease of use are the issues for me, rather than volume.
In fact I have chuckled several times, that though the mill is capable of handling a 500 pound block of metal, it spends most of its time pushing a cutter around with about a pound of force, that is about the size of a dental drill. While maintaining the machines accuracy of 1/0.0001 th of an inch, as the cutter creeps along. A bit different than the norm in cutting action, and flying chips.

Consequently I would highly recommend those looking for a program for similar uses in metal, purchase Aspire. I would also like to thank everyone who contributed to my questions, and put up with my frustrations. Your responses were extremely helpful, and convinced me to stick it out and purchase Aspire. You guys are impressive.

May all your projects be good ones; Cliff20