Fed Up with Manual or Lack there of

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Fed Up with Manual or Lack there of

Post by ohiolyons »

OK I'm getting on a soap box again and apologies ahead of time.

In another post 2d vs 3d tabs was mentioned. OK I won't bother the forum until I read up about them, Help, Help Contents.

According to the Help Contents the reference manual is stored on my hard drive and it is not.

You can find 2d tabs by pressing on the Profile icon. But where is the area where 3d tabs are discussed?

The current Help Contents works well if you know what you are looking for and where it is!
But when you are trying avoid the did you look it up in the manual comments the current Help Contents is just inadequate.

Please add a search capability to this vectric.

Sorry for the venting, but can anyone explain the value 3d tabs?
I have done double sided 3D work with 2d tabs and never had a problem.
Don't get me wrong if 3D tabs are better I'll gladly switch.
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard

Re: Fed Up with Manual or Lack there of

Post by ohiolyons »

To add clarification I mean 3d clipart tabs added in the "Two Sided Marlin" video as 3d tabs.

I know that there is an option of 3d tabs in the Profile documentation.

So what id the advantage of adding 3d tabs as clipart versus "normal" 3d tabs?

Sorry for the earlier confusion.
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard

Post by ohiolyons »

Just watched the Two Sided Marlin video again.

It appears that 3d clipart tabs maybe necessary with the new Double Sided Machining capability.
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

The search capability is part of the browser you're using to view the Help contents or the PDF viewer if you're using the PDF version. In most browsers/PDF viewers pressing Ctrl-F brings up the search box.

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard

Post by ohiolyons »

Thank Adrian for your response.

When I have the Help, Help Contents up I have this URL https://docs.vectric.com/docs/V9.0/Aspi ... /Home.html

Where is the PDF? I looked where the Help, Help Contents says it is and it is not there. The documentation on the opening page says " Access this document from Aspire's Help Menu ► Help Contents or from the Aspire folder in the program section of your Windows Start menu. "

The documentation on the opening page says " At the bottom of the page you will see an area with View All Help. This will download all the Help Documentation as a single web page which is useful for searching or if you need to create a paper copy of the documentation. " but it is not on the bottom of the page.

When I have the Help, Help Contents up I have this URL https://docs.vectric.com/docs/V9.0/Aspi ... /Home.html

There is no option to search this document, I'm running Chrome on Win 10 Pro. Is there an option I need to turn on?
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard

Post by ohiolyons »

In Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 10, the Vectric Files folder is most easily located using the Documents item under Libraries in Windows Explorer. Following the default installation, the precise path to this folder is: C:\Users\Public\Documents\Vectric Files

My C:\Users\Public\Documents\Vectric Files\Documentation folder is empty

Windows 10 Pro, Aspire 9.010
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

When you have the Help Contents loaded look at the bottom of the browser window. The link to the PDF version is there along with the links to the forum etc. It might say "Single Page" rather than "PDF Version" in which case if you click "Single Page" the link will change to "PDF Version" which you can then click to load the PDF file.

To search the HTML version you use the search facility of the browser itself but you have to be in non-single page mode for that to work or it will only search the currently loaded page.

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard

Post by ohiolyons »

Again thanks for your patience.

I did click single page and it did perform as you said.
But Vectric you couldn't of made it much more cryptic!!!
In my simple mind Single Page doesn't mean access to everything!
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Post by dealguy11 »

To answer your 3d tab question I guess it's necessary to know if you're referring to the 3d tabs that are available on the 2d Profile Toolpath screen, or 3d tabs that are added as components.

1. 3d tabs on the 2d Profile Toolpath screen are useful in keeping the tool moving forward continuously while cutting the tab so that there is less of a witness line on the side of the part where the tool stops, lifts to cut the tab, then goes back down.

2. When 3d tabs are added as components, it's usually where the 3d component goes all the way to the bottom of the part, so it would cut away a 2d tab. You add the 3d tab as a component so that the carving toolpath won't cut away the tab. This is not a "feature" of Aspire, so it's not covered in the manual. It's just a commonsense thing you need to create because of the nature of the carving. In the 3d marlin example, the bottom of the component on both sides of the part is the center plane of the material. The carving goes all the way to the center plane on both sides. If you didn't create a carved tab, then carving toolpath would just carve away anything that was put there by a profile toolpath.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

redwood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom Pro6

Post by redwood »

FWIW, I to have been frustrated by the lack of a search button in the help manual. I will have to look at the solution given here and hope that my feeble memory will work when I need it.
Mark
Pioneer, CA

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard

Post by ohiolyons »

Worked for me, but it shouldn’t of been this difficult
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

To be fair all the previous versions of the help which were PDF based only relied on using the search feature of the PDF viewer so using the search feature of the browser with the HTML version isn't really a change. I can appreciate that it can be confusing for people who may not use those features of their browsers on a regular basis though.

Mark's Wood Chips
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre 23 with Rotary

Post by Mark's Wood Chips »

I'm glad that I stumbled across this thread because I was looking all over for the PDF version of the V9 manual. I make a hard copy for each version because I read it for fun as well as for reference and it's easier to use than the HTML version. Thanks ohiolyons for harping on this!

Mark

CharlieP
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: Saimsmart CNC

Post by CharlieP »

When you go to the Online version, at the bottom of the page you will see the option for a Single Page version.
Click that and then when the new page loads you will see the option you used before has changed to PDF Version should you wish to download and Print the document.

When you have the Single Page version or the PDF Version then then search is usually found by using CRTL + F which is the standard Text find tool in most Web Browsers and PDF Viewers.

When on the Normal version, you can still go to desired sections by clicking on the User Interface icons at the start of the Help Contents to read more about the tools.

I hope this helps

Mark's Wood Chips
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre 23 with Rotary

Post by Mark's Wood Chips »

CharlieP wrote:When you go to the Online version, at the bottom of the page you will see the option for a Single Page version.
Click that and then when the new page loads you will see the option you used before has changed to PDF Version should you wish to download and Print the document.

When you have the Single Page version or the PDF Version then then search is usually found by using CRTL + F which is the standard Text find tool in most Web Browsers and PDF Viewers.

When on the Normal version, you can still go to desired sections by clicking on the User Interface icons at the start of the Help Contents to read more about the tools.

I hope this helps
I have my printed and PDF copies now. I (along with others) would kindly suggest that Vectric make a direct link to a PDF version instead of the "single page ---> pdf version" indirect route that is extremely hard to find.

Mark