Starting Position on work piece

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
Mikie505
Model of CNC Machine: DIY CNC Router

Starting Position on work piece

Post by Mikie505 »

NEED HELP
Just wanting to know if there is a way in Aspire to change your tool entry position when you do a drawing. Sometimes I would like to start the cut in a different position.....is there a way to change the start point??
Thanks,
Mike

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Re: Starting Position on work piece

Post by 4DThinker »

Yes. (N)ode to turn on node editing of the selected vector, then (P)oint while hovering over the node you want to make the starting point.

MatMo
Model of CNC Machine: Pratix48NST

Post by MatMo »

Hi, I am having some problems with this - although I designate a starting point the profile toolpath ignores it (sometimes).
I have been making some dovetails using the Dovetail Gadget and the cut is starting in some really odd places like the corner of the tail etc - meaning there is no room for a ramp approach.
I seem to be able to get the start point to change on an individual piece, but when I select several pieces for one profile toolpath the starting points on each revert to their random places.
Any help gratefully received!
Mat

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Which version are you using? Prior to V9 make sure you have "Use vector start points (don't optimize)" checked on the profile toolpath. With V9 you need to check "Keep Current Start Points" on the Start At tab in profile toolpath.

In both versions you have to have "Show advanced toolpath options" checked as well to show those options.

mservis
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna Swift 4x4

Post by mservis »

I have aspire 8.5, I am working with 3 d models but want to start the cutting tool path in the center of the model. I have set the "material set up" in the middle.
However the program may start cutting in the middle, but then jumps to the outside where the cut depth is 1.3. This is hard on my tools. I am using the finishing toolpath.
Do I need to use the roughing toolpath first then go to the finishing? Or is there a way to start in the middle and have the tool path to continue to cut outward, rather than "jump
to the outside edge?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

The roughing toolpath is there to remove the material so the finish tool won't get "overwhelmed". It's important to note that the finishing toolpath doesn't use multiple passes, it does it job in one go which can break bits without a rough pass.

With some styles of models (dish shape and models in a disk for example) you can often get away without a rough cut if you use the raster option.