Sign Foam Help

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire

Sign Foam Help

Postby Bill_L » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:15 pm

For all you sign makers,

While I have cut HDU signs for others, I have been asked by an associate to machine, finish and install four signs for his development. I will have two 1 1/2" x 32" x 136" pieces that need to be adhered to a concrete bricked pedestal. For these two I envisioned having the pedestal constructed with either studs or lag shields then bolting them on. I would of course, counter sink and plug. Does this sound appropriate?

The other two signs (1 1/2" x 48" x 72") will be mated back to back with a 1/8" tabbed steel sheet (that would be your local political bureaucratic BS) for stability and mounting. Should these be bolted through or glued to the steel (or both). If glued, what type of adhesive would work and be permanent?

Lastly, they want the sign finished with Sherwin Williams Resilience exterior gloss (provided). Any comment on number of coats for longevity?

Thanks,

Bill
Bill_L
Vectric Apprentice

Re: Sign Foam Help

Postby Leo » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:14 am

As to the painting, I would suggest 2-3 heavy coats of a really good primer, like Jay Cookes Sign primer before painting.

Minimum of 3 coats of the Sherwin Williams.

For adhesive - Lord Adhesives is far stronger than the sign foam. Clean with DNA first.

I tested a bonding of alupanel with Signfoam and I broke the signfoam when I tried to pry it apart with a large screwdriver as a prybar.

I would get on the LORD adhesives web site and send them your project and question. Let them make recommendations.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind

www.leosworkshop.com
Leo
Vectric Wizard

Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254

Re: Sign Foam Help

Postby Bill_L » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:37 am

Thanks Leo.
Bill_L
Vectric Apprentice

Return to Aspire - Tips and Tricks