Problems setting Z to the base, and NOt tg the top

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
Roskrow
Model of CNC Machine: GX-6060 CNC Router Table

Problems setting Z to the base, and NOt tg the top

Post by Roskrow »

I am trying to do an exercise making bowls, that was shown last summer by Vectric. The set up for sutting the Corian shows material as being .48 (it varies from sgheet to sheet !!0 They show Z as being inon the base and not on the top. This then creates provblems on tool changing. I can do it, but it is a slow process. Is there an easy way of doing it easily ?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Problems setting Z to the base, and NOt tg the top

Post by Adrian »

You can set the Z to the top on a job if you wish. Just be sure to recalculate the toolpaths and make sure the value you have in the job setup for the thickness is accurate otherwise it may not cut all the way through.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

What problems are you having ? On a tool change you only need to alter the z axis setting, you can leave x & y at the same values so just jog to a free part of the table to reset your z axis zero :lol: :lol:

Not sure what project that is but often the material bottom (table surface) is used where the thickness of the part is important. As Adrian has said you could redo the toolpaths using the top of the material but it may affect the actual part if your material thickness is a bit out. I tend not to use the toolpaths that come already generated for Vectric projects, one reason is because I use metric tools so don't have the same tools that most of the projects use but the other reason is because as the warnings say my machine may not like the settings they use on their machines :lol: :lol: :lol:

Roskrow
Model of CNC Machine: GX-6060 CNC Router Table

Post by Roskrow »

Thank you both...My goodness everyone is SO helpful.
I was, and will continue to do as Martin suggests.

Adrian I have asked a number of questions in the past several months, and you are always there with a respions...Thank you.
Best wishes
Malcolm (Roskrow)