Miter fold boxes

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Miter fold boxes

Post by dealguy11 »

This subject is old hat to a lot of you, but some of the newer forum members may not have seen it yet. We got a commercial job that includes four "slat walls", covered with 2" x 3" walnut box slats. Here are renderings of a couple of the walls:
A5.2-3.1 Front.JPG
Slat Wall with reveals.JPG
The challenge here is how to make all those boxes. There are 236 of them over the 4 walls. There are lots of ways to make them. You could use solid wood, but that's expensive and heavy. You could make simple boxes and veneer them, which takes a long time. You could miter ply or MDF-core material on a table saw, but for some of the longer boxes, it's often hard to get them to come out precisely that way.

Or, you can do miter-fold joints on your CNC. The basic idea is that you cut almost, but not quite all the way through the material with a large V-bit, cut out the outline of the part, then lay down a bead of glue and fold the joint. The joint can then be held together with tape until dry, and any roughness in the joint is easy to round over with the side of a round screwdriver shaft, or sand away. The joints actually fold very nicely, and they lay down really well.

Aspire and VCarve Pro make it pretty easy to lay out and cut these boxes, using a v-bit designed for this. We're using an Amana 91-degree insert v-bit made for this purpose. The 1 extra degree leaves space for the glue and any stray dust when you fold.

For this project we're using 3/4" MDF core walnut veneered sheets. There are about 36 sheets of material for the project. We're cutting the v-grooves leaving about .005" at the bottom, which seems to leave them sturdy enough so that we can move them from the CNC to the assembly table without breaking them, and still fold nicely. After folding, we're just clamping them with strapping tape.

We're about halfway through making the slats at this point after 3 days of cutting and folding. Here are some pictures. The first is the CNC cutting, the second is boxes on the assembly table awaiting gluing, in front of a couple of wall frames with some partially finished boxes on them, the third is taped-up boxes waiting for the glue to dry and the fourth is a bunch of boxes after sanding
Attachments
20160726_083122.jpg
20160727_140329.jpg
20160727_140341.jpg
20160726_083141.jpg
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Re: Miter fold boxes

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Thanks for sharing, Steve.
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Steve,
I appreciate that you take the time to share with others. You are an encouragement to all of us.

Thanks!
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Steve, thank you very much for outlining the entire process. Very cool project! We appreciate your knowledge and generosity to share it with us!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

David Rueth
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus HD

Post by David Rueth »

I have one question. Who gets to dust that room.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Steve, thanks for sharing, quick question about the bits you use. Do they have a flat at the bottom or come to a point?

I make sign trays from ACM & use bits that are designed especially for this,I believe there are a range of different angles available so you can produce shapes with a different number of sides although I only have 2 of them, they all have a flat at the bottom which is needed to stop the aluminium skin splitting when you bend it. Not knowing a lot about wood I was wondering if this was also something that was necessary :lol:

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

No flat bottom. Regular V bits.
With a good dust shoe, you shouldn't have any dust in the room.
We miterfold a ton of stuff at wok, and all the dust goes into the dust collector.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard

Post by dealguy11 »

The inserts for this bit comes to a very sharp point.

As far as the dust, I guess it does look pretty messy! The stuff on the walls is from static in the pipes. One thing about this technique is that it's really messy when you're using MDF. I've got the RPMs down around 10k so it's cutting something more like chips from the MDF rather than just dust, but it still creates an incredible amount of dust. We're having to empty the dust collector every 1.5 - 2 sheets of MDF and completely filled the dumpster after only 4 days of cutting. I'm sweeping and vacuuming between each sheet because stuff comes down the side of the CNC. I've been wearing a mask due to the nastiness of it. Will be glad when this part of the project is done.

Edit - the stock dust shoe just isn't cutting it. Biggest problem is at the edges of the sheet, where the shoe overhangs the edge and stuff goes straight down. Also having a problem because I have 3 spindles and there are 3 holes in the shoe so the dust comes out of the the extra ones. Replacing it with dedicated shoes for each spindle is on my list of things to do.
Steve Godding

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Edit - the stock dust shoe just isn't cutting it. Biggest problem is at the edges of the sheet, where the shoe overhangs the edge and stuff goes straight down. Also having a problem because I have 3 spindles and there are 3 holes in the shoe so the dust comes out of the the extra ones. Replacing it with dedicated shoes for each spindle is on my list of things to do.

Could you not just make a couple of bungs for the 2 extra holes as a temporary measure :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard

Post by dealguy11 »

Nice idea, but no. We use 2 of the spindles on these parts (1 for the v-bit, one for the cutout). Have done that on other things, but can only cover one for this one.
Steve Godding

Mobius
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CRP Pro 4848 Custom Build

Post by Mobius »

ger21 wrote:No flat bottom. Regular V bits.
With a good dust shoe, you shouldn't have any dust in the room.
We miterfold a ton of stuff at wok, and all the dust goes into the dust collector.
Ha, I think he meant who is the poor sucker who has to dust all of those slats once they are installed.
Connor Bredin
Distinctive Dimensional Concepts Ltd.
www.distinctive-concepts.ca

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard

Post by dealguy11 »

That's classified as NMP - not my problem!
Steve Godding

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

Looks like you are doing the job the best you can, and probably the most economical and logical way.

MDF is notoriously messy ,, Do you use a pre separator drum with your collector ?

When I cut mdf I have a shop fan pointed at the machine and an exhaust fan right to the side of it, so some at least of what escapes the shoe gets blown out.
Doug

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard

Post by dealguy11 »

We use a cyclone collector, so a pre-separator wouldn't help a lot
Steve Godding

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Box folding wood is not something that I would ever have thought to do, not being from a woodworking background.

I have bits for box folding ACM, varying angles for different types of fold but as I only work with thin composite panels these have short cutting edges plus they have a flat at the bottom which ger21 says is not required/needed for wood.

So is there a good place to learn more about box folding wood & mdf or is it simply a case of experiment/practice with different types of wood & hopefully figure it out :lol: :lol:

Will it work for any type of wood & thickness or are there limitations on what can & can't be done?

Do you need to use a 91 deg cutter for all materials or just for mdf & does anyone know of a supplier of 91 deg bits in the UK or will I need to get something shipped over?

Sorry about all the questions but I would like to learn a bit more about this :lol: :lol: :lol: