Equal Spacing Between Closed Vectors

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
Kevin Nelson
Model of CNC Machine: Home Built - Platform Prototype

Equal Spacing Between Closed Vectors

Post by Kevin Nelson »

I have a row of 10 circles. The largest is 1.0" in diameter. Each circle is .075 smaller. I need to align these so they have the same spacing between the outside edges of the vectors, not the same spacing center to center. That function I've got figured out. I need the spacing between them held constant. Is there a tool that allows me to select all of them and arrange them as I described? For now I've been moving them one at a time to set the distance between the outside edges. Time consuming as I'm doing this many times with different sized objects. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Kevin

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Re: Equal Spacing Between Closed Vectors

Post by FixitMike »

A method, although not "one click".
Assuming that the circles are in a row.
Select all of the circles and then Offset them outward half the distance you want between them, with the "Delete original" box checked.
Use the Alignment tool, Align to Selection, Outside Edge to move the circles so they are aligned to (touching) the outside edge of the adjacent circle.
Offset all of the circles back inward the same as before, again with the "Delete original" box checked.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Click on the alignment tools icon (last one in the transform objects section). Hold down the shift key and click on each circle in turn starting with the largest one. Then click on the horizontal or vertical icon (depending which way you have laid your circles out) in the Space Selection box and you should have what you want.

Kevin Nelson
Model of CNC Machine: Home Built - Platform Prototype

Post by Kevin Nelson »

FixitMike & Adrian,
Thanks for the good instructions for both methods. Both work great! The only difference in the results is Mike's will set the exact spacing desired by using the offset command. Adrian's will produce equal spacing between all vectors using the outer 2 vectors as the limiting boundaries. I actually needed both methods but I was just going after them one at a time. You guys are great! Thanks for the help.

Kevin