Spiraling Challenge

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
Fleming
Vectric Wizard

Spiraling Challenge

Post by Fleming »

A contractor friend asked me to carve a beaded spiral for the capitals of some columns he was building.
All he had was a sketch and some rough dimensions.
Original Sketch
Original Sketch
I was able to duplicate the outside of the spiral pattern using the Spiral Gadget
Generated Spiral
Generated Spiral
but the challenge was having Aspire produce a parallel spiral exactly 1/2" on the inside thus forming the 1/2" raised area for the bead. The final
result:
Final Bead
Final Bead
It took a number of steps to get Aspire to produce it without me trying to trace or draw. Is there an "easy" way to do this?
Cobblewood Carver

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home built designs - 3'x4' and 5'x12'

Re: Spiraling Challenge

Post by CarveOne »

It will make them parallel, but you will need to scale the spiral to get the spacing to be 0.5". Use the Archimedes spiral type.

I used this gadget for the first time just yesterday to do it with text. The text was spiraling outward from the center. It took a minute to figure out that all I had to do to reverse the text direction was to node edit the spiral to put the start node at the outside end of the spiral. :roll: This is a test to get it to spiral correctly, and the text and the font style will change to something else.

CarveOne
Attachments
YoYo - Spiral Text.jpg
CarveOne
http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

JMD
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Probotix GX2525 with rotary

Post by JMD »

Fleming wrote:A contractor friend asked me to carve a beaded spiral for the capitals of some columns he was building.
All he had was a sketch and some rough dimensions.
capital scroll.jpg
I was able to duplicate the outside of the spiral pattern using the Spiral Gadget
Orig Spiral.JPG
but the challenge was having Aspire produce a parallel spiral exactly 1/2" on the inside thus forming the 1/2" raised area for the bead. The final
result:
Spiral with offset.JPG
It took a number of steps to get Aspire to produce it without me trying to trace or draw. Is there an "easy" way to do this?
Try using the "ARCHIMEDES" spiral, for the first layout, then the "OFFSET" tool. It seemed to work for me.

Fleming
Vectric Wizard

Post by Fleming »

THANK YOU! Those techniques are much simpler than mine :)
Cobblewood Carver