Stool Plans (Russell Crawford's)

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
rscrawford
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Cobra 408 ATC, ShopSabre IS408

Stool Plans (Russell Crawford's)

Post by rscrawford »

I've had many requests for my stool plans, so I put together a set of files that will work on any machine. I've also written a very detailed set of instructions in PDF form, with many pictures, walking through every step from set-up to assembly.

I'm charging $200 for these plans, and will be available to answer questions and provide any help necessary on this thread. If you are interested, please private message me and I will send you a PayPal invoice and a link to download the files (7 files and a detailed PDF set of instructions). The rocking chair files are also available for those who would like more of a challenge.

These plans are much easier than my rocking chair plans, and are a great lead-in. The stools use a similar Maloof style joint, which is designed for strength and beauty. They require no jigs, just clamps and dowels for indexing two sided cuts. You will need a 3/8" drill bit, ½" endmill, ½" ballnose bit, and an optional 3/8" plunge roundover bit (or 3/8" roundover with a bearing guide in a handheld router for the stool top). Tight fitting joints like the ones shown below should be possible on any machine by using these files and carefully following the instructions.
The files provided enable you to cut stool legs that fit perfectly to the stool top (with very minimal sanding needed to remove the excess glue).
The files provided enable you to cut stool legs that fit perfectly to the stool top (with very minimal sanding needed to remove the excess glue).
IMG_1985.JPG
closeup%20joint.JPG
The stools can be made with a slightly concave seat top like the one below, and a v-carve can be projected onto the model to personalize the stool top.
DSC_3215.JPG
The seat top can also be left flat and inlays can be added to further personalize it. Inlays add great value to a piece that will be passed down through generations.
DSC_3191.JPG
DSC_3178.JPG
Russell Crawford
http://www.cherryleaf-rustle.com

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Re: Stool Plans (Russell Crawford's)

Post by scottp55 »

Russell,
What are minimum size requirements for machine...especially Z(from tip of bit to spoilboard)?
Is 3/8" Roundover essential because of design? or can it be modified?
LOVE those joints! :D
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

rscrawford
Vectric Wizard

Post by rscrawford »

Need a z height of 2.5" for the legs and 1.75" for the stool top. The actual blank for the stool top is 15"x15" x 1.75". The leg blanks are 21" x 2.5" x 1.85".

The 3/8" round over is for the seat top, and it can't be modified because it matches the contours of the leg joint. It can, however, easily be done with a handheld router and a cheap bearing guided 3/8" round over bit after the seat is cut out on the cnc machine.

You could use a 1/4" round over and then sand out the difference. But the files are designed for the 3/8" to minimize finishing.
Russell Crawford

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Thank you Russell.
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

I have a similar problem Scott but mine isn't the actual z height but the clearance between the machine table & the bottom of the gantry, I can get the z axis heigh enough but at 2.5" it won't go under the gantry. Having said that as it's only 1.85" wide I might just be able to machine it without it having to go under the gantry, will need to check that.
Got to agree with you about the joints, think they are great & the contrast with the different woods just makes them look even better to me anyway.

Sure you won't have any problems selling these plans Russell, another cracking job by the looks of it.

antennasDIY
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home made

Post by antennasDIY »

Sweet! I have been waiting. I have a 1/4" router. I am not sure if I can get a 1/2 endmill with a 1/4 shaft. Can I just edit for a 1/4 endmill??

rscrawford
Vectric Wizard

Post by rscrawford »

Yes, you can definitely edit for 1/4" endmill and 1/4" ball nose. But you need a 1.25" depth of cut.

I can rotate the files 90 degrees if you don't have 2.5" gantry height, as long as you have clearance between the gantry and the spindle to clear the clamps, etc.
Russell Crawford

scubanimal
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Stinger1 24, Shark HD2 Pro, Aspire,

Post by scubanimal »

Russell, I sent an email via normal means to your email address on your webpage as the forum will not let me send private messages yet. .

Also by chance are you going to provide additional info on how to do the inlays into the stools? I know you posted a fairly detailed explanation some time ago, but since you're working so hard to help us novice types I thought I would ask.

Thank you, I'm really looking forward to doing a couple stools.

Ian

rscrawford
Vectric Wizard

Post by rscrawford »

I will be adding a couple of files for inlays that I commonly use, and will give an explanation of how I do them. It is similar to the v-inlay technique that is used a lot on this forum, but there are several differences that I think make it quicker (I do many inlays, and time is a huge factor in my shop).
Russell Crawford

gordread
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Professor HDX

Post by gordread »

Russel,

I definitely will be seeking out these plans. I've been wanting to build one (or more) of your stools for a long time. I was really excited when you said you were going to publish the plans.

Gordon

poroskywood
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre

Post by poroskywood »

What is the material list needed? All 8/4 stock?

rscrawford
Vectric Wizard

Post by rscrawford »

Yes, all 8/4 stock.

The top blanks are 15"x15"
The legs blanks are each 2.5"x21" (legs end up 17.5" long)
Russell Crawford

rscrawford
Vectric Wizard

Post by rscrawford »

I've written a set of instructions and files for the deer head inlay shown below. The link to download these have been sent to all those who have purchased the stool files, and will be included in any future purchases. If you have bought the stool plans and did not receive the link to these new files, please message me.

This set of instructions gives a simple step by step overview of the order and process for cutting multiple overlapping inlays in different colours of woods, and includes the files for the deer head inlay shown below. You should be able follow these steps and cut inlays as simple or complex as you desire.
Deer 2.JPG
Russell Crawford

Mick68
Model of CNC Machine: Mechmate

Post by Mick68 »

Thanks Russell I had a look at them and they are first class instructions and files as are the rest of your work.

antennasDIY
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home made

Post by antennasDIY »

Russell, I can get a 1/4 BN bit that's 4" long with a LOC of 1" would that work or do I absolutely need a 1.25 LOC??
I am not that knowledgeable on the bit side yet so I will defer to your advice.

Thanks.