seated liberty

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
Larry Stobbs
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark & Axiom

seated liberty

Post by Larry Stobbs »

I have been working on a city seal design which is from the old seated liberty coins from around 1865, I cut a sample out tonight and it needs more work, I started work on this by making the various components but the human form is what seems to be the difficult part, I made the basic shape based on the lines from the drawing and then basically cut the body parts in to the various pieces before creating the shapes or you would just end up with a big mass of material. Once I got the shapes halfway close then I added the details like the hair and the folds in the fabric. Has anyone else tried to make something like this and any ideas on how to create the human form in an easier manner, this wasn't bad for a first attempt but she ended up a little fat in the belly and the upper neck and I am not sure how to adjust those areas unless I use the sculpting tools and that process is harder than you would think it would be.
Attachments
seal picture
seal picture

mezalick
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra

Re: seated liberty

Post by mezalick »

Larry,
I do a fair amount of figure work and yes it’s the most challenging part of most projects.
Patience and practice are what’s needed.
Sometimes walking away and coming back a day later will show where things need to be adjusted.
Another set of eyes is also good.
I think you’re on the right track as you have already pointed out what you feel needs to be changed.
Keep up the good work.
Michael
Attachments
John-Sevier-1-revision-1.jpg
Michael Mezalick
https://www.youtube.com/user/mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

pops1964
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot buddy bt 32

Re: seated liberty

Post by pops1964 »

Larry , nice work and good design , looks like a very good first attempt . pop's :mrgreen:
POPS1964
SHOPBOT Buddy BT-32