Coasters

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
BRIANT
Model of CNC Machine: 40-915x

Coasters

Post by BRIANT »

Anyone have anything tips on how to go about custom carving drink coasters out of wood. I have searched for clipart as well 3d clipart vectors of coasters but no luck. Any guidance is greatly appreciate. Want to do this at all possible for my daughters wedding coming up in July as a wedding keep sake idea. Like I said any guidance given is greatly appreciated.

Mike-S
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Joe's Hybrid 4x4 (but 3x3)

Re: Coasters

Post by Mike-S »

Here's a couple ideas.
Larger was for my son's wedding. 5" in dia. (maple)
Smaller ones are 3 5/8" dia. (walnut)
Basically a disk with a pocket.
Finished with satin poly.
Attachments
coasterdone.jpg
MKcoasters.jpg

BRIANT

Post by BRIANT »

Mike those are gorgeous. Any a affiliation with the Navy by chance. Another question Mike. I am using aspire and I somewhat don't know where to begin in carving these out. Still learning a lot about these program. Looking for a tutorial within aspire but I don't know which one would give me the tools I need to begin. Hey Mike I don't know so I ask. Any idea which tutorial will give me direction?

MarkJohnston
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster MC4848

Post by MarkJohnston »

Hi Briant,

The pastor of our Church wanted some coasters for the new library we build. His favorite saying is learn your A,B C's so I did some coasters for him. They are fun but a little time consuming to do. I pocketed some material down to 1/2" and cut a pocket to put some cork in to absorb the moisture from the glasses. I got a circle cutter from a hobby shop to cut the cork centers and glued them in. I also made a couple holders for the coasters and VCarved the name of our Church in them and the coasters.

The diameter of the coasters are 4 1/2" and the diameter of the pocketed area is 3 1/2" and .1875 deep to hold the cork. I got the sheet of cork from Michaels hobby store.

Mark
Attachments
DSCN1784 (1024x768).jpg
DSCN1785 (1024x768).jpg
DSCN1786 (1024x768).jpg
DSCN1788 (1024x768).jpg

BRIANT

Post by BRIANT »

Thank you so much those are so nice. Thanks for the tips

Mike-S
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Joe's Hybrid 4x4 (but 3x3)

Post by Mike-S »

I made the Navy coasters for my brother-in-law from a 100 year old beam he snagged from and old barn (I guess walnut was cheap back then). He was in Ollie North's class at Annapolis; I was a couple years behind them.

I don't know which tutorial to point you toward, but these are pretty easy.
Half inch thick stock would be a good starting point. Lay out a circle for the outer diameter, then a smaller circle to use for the pocket. The walnut ones were done with a 1/4" down spiral and the beer coasters were pocketed with a 1/4" round nose, about 1/10th inch depth of cut. Depends on the look you want. The designs/lettering are then V-carved. Edge lettering starts on the surface, but you need to set the "start depth" for the design inside the pocket to the pocket's depth or you'll cut air. After pocketing and V-carving, do a profile cut "Outside" and use "Tabs" to hold it when the bit breaks through. A 1/4" down spiral is good for that.

Alan Male
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: heiz 400T

Post by Alan Male »

You might also like to consider the inlay technique.
I made these for a friend in Toulouse.
Cheers,
Alan
CroixOccitane.jpg
CNC m/c - Heiz 400T
Software - Aspire, VCarve Pro, Photo VCarve, WinPC-NC
CAD - Catia V5

large519
Model of CNC Machine: denford microrouter/denford triac

Post by large519 »

I've made these sets of coasters,
16mm thick, from either oak or Cherry, they have a 3mm piece of perspex over the top of the carving design to protect it from spillages.
1st are obviuosly vw logo's, that a free standing plaque that goes with them, 2nd set is of the yamaha logo.
Image[/URL]
Image[/URL]

I've also used Pvc on a set too
Image[/URL]

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

Some great projects here. I like all of them :D

Phil