3D Modelling and no-cut zone

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
Chelmite
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick 4x8, BOSS laser

3D Modelling and no-cut zone

Post by Chelmite »

Hi. I'm trying to add a 3-D shape on the perimeter of an already-milled 3D design.
The inside of the field has mounting holes for bolts.
I want to create the 3D roughing and finishing steps for the perimeter without hitting anything on the inside (especially the already-cut portions of the design and the hold-down bolts!).

Any ideas?

Thanks for any help you can give,
Chelmite

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: 3D Modelling and no-cut zone

Post by Adrian »

Draw a closed vector that encloses the inside of the field that you don't want to cut. Use another vector for the boundary of the area that you do want cut. Select both vectors and create your roughing/finishing toolpaths. The toolpaths will only cut the area between the two vectors.

Chelmite

Post by Chelmite »

Woohoo! That worked! Thank you!

(Is this documented somewhere?)

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Yes, it is documented. Vectric has LOTS of video tutorials. It actually pays to watch them.

Unlike the popular (and nasty) habits of app designers who think everyone should learn how to use software by "experimenting" Vectric doesn't. There are very, very few "hidden features" if any. Mostly the trick is to watch the videos and actually DO what they are doing so it sticks. Tutorials are not like flipping Roku or Hulu and zoning out.

Chelmite

Post by Chelmite »

I've watched many of them, and they're well done and really useful.

Unless you memorize everything, it's really hard to go back and search for a concept, such as "no-cut zone".

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Chelmite wrote:I've watched many of them, and they're well done and really useful.

Unless you memorize everything, it's really hard to go back and search for a concept, such as "no-cut zone".
Unless you have a steel trap for a brain, you probably won't memorize everything. I use the software pretty much everyday for lots of different things. Like anything the more I use it, the more I remember. BUT! For when I cannot recall, there is this forum and it has a pretty good search feature. If that fails I can do like you have and ask! It amazes me how quickly someone will respond. And they don't even mind answering a question that has been asked 150 times before.

I am getting ready to add a rotary axis to my machine. So last night found me watching the tutorials on that while the TV had a cooking show or three playing. You can bet I did not memorize all of it, but I did get pretty familiar with the technique used to program rotary. I will watch them a few more times as I follow along.

Just used the search feature and it turned up all sorts of posts about setting up cut zones. I gotta admit, I neglect the search feature way too often.