Dust Collector Mods

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
jhowelb
Model of CNC Machine: home built

Re: Dust Collector Mods

Post by jhowelb »

I'm seeing things a bit differently.

I see a motor bolted to a wooden panel, bolted to a wall. (I would most certainly take the pains to mount to two or more studs the length of the panel.)

I see the entire system mounted on a shelf, attached to the wall and the cabinet utilizing the space under the shelf.

As to mobility, I can't use it nor do I want it. I own a large shop vac to move around with.

As to the switch, I would use a "Long Ranger" remote control unit as the shelf is up out of the way too far for me to climb. The barrel can sit on the floor as to be an easy reach.

"Ghetto" would be a step up from my up bringing in a two room shack without plumbing nor electricity (not even an out house) right on the banks of the Brazos River.

Duct tape, milk crates, pallets, etc. are all just objects seen as building materials and don't bother me in the least. The less they cost the better for me!

But then I viewed the video from which I captured the photo so I have a leg up on you!

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

Don't get me wrong - You asked for critical opinions and I gave you mine, mileage may vary between users.

I am a journeyman union carpenter, and am drilled into building things with tight tolerances and [usually] professional appearance, that gettup would fail even on roughing jobs. I have construction professionals, coworkers and others come by my shop from time to time, many of them potential or actual customers of things I make, last thing I would want is to have my setup look like some jr high shop project cobbled together one fine afternoon.
That may be vanity, but more importantly, just wouldn't fly with me, not for a minute.

Other people don't have those cares or considerations, I get that. I do, and [what I consider to be] tacky, haphazard things [when they don't need to be] are a pet peeve of mine.

Once again, no offense, just my opinion which counts no more or less than yours or anyone elses.
Doug

zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Post by zeeway »

Okay, back to the world of simple DC's that exhaust to the outside world with no filter. You will recall my redesigned DC with a 20 gallon can...
Jacking0.JPG
In my continuing quest to over-engineer my DC, and eliminate manual labor, I added 1/4-20 jacking hex head bolts to each corner, which consisted of a tee nuts underneath, and the jacking bolts on top...
Jacking2.JPG
So, using a drill with a 7/16 socket on all four of the 1/4-20 bolts...
Jacking4.JPG
... the top is "automatically" lifted so that you can remove the can for emptying...
Jacking3.JPG
Now, it is finished...except for maybe a front door...hmmm

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Post by dwilli9013 »

Way to utilize those design skills Angie. Looks to have solved your problem quite handily.
Looks good too.
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

jhowelb
Model of CNC Machine: home built

Post by jhowelb »

OUTSTANDING IDEA!

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Angie, that is not "over engineering".

Over engineering would have been:

1) if you welded sprockets and change drive to all four of them so your drill spun them all at once.

---or---

2) a dedicated programmable control with four stepper motors.

See? You have room go grow!
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Post by zeeway »

Great ideas :D . Hmmm...stand by for future improvements...or not.

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Post by dwilli9013 »

TReischl wrote:Angie, that is not "over engineering".

Over engineering would have been:

1) if you welded sprockets and change drive to all four of them so your drill spun them all at once.

---or---

2) a dedicated programmable control with four stepper motors.

See? You have room go grow!
I like your way of thinking. :lol: :lol: :lol:
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli