Liquid glass in Europe?

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
signmarketingman
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Professional done home built.

Re: Liquid glass in Europe?

Post by signmarketingman »

as i posted above. He is asking for clear resin. It is also used for doming and other deep dish clear finishes.

The liquid glass resin is NOT fiber glass resin. They are two different deals

Fiber glass resin does not cure into a clear substance. It cures with a slight to heavy yellow color. That is unless you purchase special resin at a much higher price..

Polyester resins dry clear and as thick as one wants. They solidify clear. Often that is the product used to encase objects and can be colored to what you want. IT is also nearly oder free unlike fiber glass resins

A better clear resin would be acrylic resin.. That stuff is clear and strong as well and much easier to work with..

Ms Wolffie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Blue Elephant 1325, Shark HD Pro

Post by Ms Wolffie »

How to make water glass yourself
http://chemistry.about.com/od/makechemi ... licate.htm
Cheers
Wolffie
Cheers
Wolffie

Whatshammacallit
Cut3D, VCarvePro 6.5, Aspire4, PhotoVCarve, Corel Graphics Suite X6

ssflyer
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRSAlpha 96x60

Post by ssflyer »

Wolfie,

That's a whole different thing - Sodium Silicate. I made it as a kid with my chemistry set. :shock: Can't imagine them selling that killer (literally) set these days! I used the sodium silicate to repair broken glass.

It is commonly used to seal concrete, and was used to preserve eggs for up to 5 months 8) Today one of it's more interesting uses to kill cars in the US in the "Cash for Clunkers" program to get old cars off the streets. That story is HERE, if you're interested.
Attachments
science-4.jpg
Ron Sloan

Ms Wolffie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Blue Elephant 1325, Shark HD Pro

Post by Ms Wolffie »

Ron
I am not talking about the chemistry set, I am talking about Natrium Silicate also known as Sodium Silicate also known as Water Glass.
It is still used for many different purposes but as water glass it is used as liquid glass, poured over flat surfaces to create a flat glass like layer.
We also used it to keep corners of rugs flat when they wouldn't stop rolling over and kept tripping you.
Yes, I bought it as a concrete sealant but use it as a clear glass like surface.
If you read the OP, he was asking for the Danish name for the substance, no what is available in the US.
http://www.pqcorp.com/pc/North-America/ ... te-Liquids
Cheers
Wolffie
Cheers
Wolffie

Whatshammacallit
Cut3D, VCarvePro 6.5, Aspire4, PhotoVCarve, Corel Graphics Suite X6

glenninvb
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: homebuild / VCP 8.0

Post by glenninvb »

Clear casting resin is available in both polyester and epoxy.
The polyester contains styrene and is quite flammable, the clear polyester casting resins are a special low exotherm formula that contains no tinting agents as commonly found in general purpose laminating and finishing (wax added) resins. "Do not pass a torch over or near polyester resin" even Coast Guard approved fire retardant resin will ignite.

Clear epoxy casting resins are also a low exotherm resin and a torch passed quickly over the surface will help de-gas the small bubbles, its not the heat but carbon dioxide that causes the small bubbles to rise to the surface. Some company's sell a degasing additive as well as various surface agents.

There are other casting resins such as urethane and vacuum degasing methods and so on............. but the only reason I responded is to say
............ "Please keep flames away from polyester resin ..................If the can says flammable, trust it.

bryson
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS 48 X 96 Aspire

Post by bryson »

Smoothoon makes a product that is called Tarbender .http://www.smooth-on.com/Epoxy-Coatings ... index.html. They have dealers in Europe that you can find on their web site. here is one in the Netherlands. http://www.formX.eu [EU / English
ShopBot PRT 96
Corel X3
Aspire
Photo V-Carve
Cut 3D
Adobe Illustrator

Pilotfromdk
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: The Green Concrete Monster +2000Kg

Post by Pilotfromdk »

Thanks to all for the suggestions, and for a lot of very good information :)
And a great thanks to Bryson for the "Tarbender" link. I think that is what I am looking for :idea:
I just ordered the trial kit, and if everything goes according to plan the parcel should arrive at my doorstep the end of next week :D

Wish you all a nice weekend 8)
Regards
Borge

Homepage: www.WoodSign.dk
FaceBook : https://fb.me/woodsign.dk