Adding a new tool ..Cutting Parameter settings ?

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
Roy50
Model of CNC Machine: cnc3040

Adding a new tool ..Cutting Parameter settings ?

Post by Roy50 »

Hi

Sorry if this is a dumb question ..I am totally new to this and don't want to make a mistake during my learning curve or I will not know what to blame it on :-)

I am trying to add a new tool to the database.

The tool is marked V .40 4 I assume that's V bit 40' angle 4 mm shank

I am ok how to add a new tool option, I copied an existing V tool - V-Bit (60 deg 6 mm) - and have edited/input the above info

..but is ok to keep the original Cutting Parameters and Feeds & Speeds from the copied tool ? or do different tools need different parameter settings ?

I will just be routing timber

Thanks

Roy

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Re: Adding a new tool ..Cutting Parameter settings ?

Post by TReischl »

The bigger question is:

What do YOU think of the cutting speeds and feeds?

Nevermind what someone else set them at. The reason is that whoever set up the initial speeds/feeds did for THEIR machine, not yours.

You need to find out what your machine is capable of, not rely on someone else's settings.

Don't be afraid of making a mistake. If you are worried, you can always cut air and see how it looks to you.

One thing, cnc routing is nothing like hand routing, typically a machine can cut much faster than you would by hand. For instance, typically I run a .25 dia end mill .25 deep at 250 inches/min. That is full width of cut, btw. In wood, including hardwoods.

Roy50
Model of CNC Machine: cnc3040

Re: Adding a new tool ..Cutting Parameter settings ?

Post by Roy50 »

Thanks carve wizard

I have so much to learn. I have been looking for an Idiots Guide To CNC for clues but it seems Trial and Error is the way forward.

Having an IT background I am used to fixed rules ...seems this industry doesn't have any so I have to reset my thinking.