Change Default settings?????

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
GraClay

Change Default settings?????

Post by GraClay »

Hi, can anyone please tell me to how change these settings to default when opening a job?

i.e. presently my Aspire defaults to "use origin offset" and the material thickness defaults to 25mm.
As I rarely use "origin offset" it is a nuisance and there are some other settings I'd like to change as well, please see the image attached.

I am using Aspire 3.5

Thanks in advance.

Graham
Attachments
default settings.jpg

Ms Wolffie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Blue Elephant 1325, Shark HD Pro

Re: Change Default settings?????

Post by Ms Wolffie »

In Material setup my 3.5 my material always defaults to the last settings used.
It always has, ever since I first loaded it.
My origin offset always shows 0.00
I am not sure why yours is different.
Cheers
Wolffie
ps
I just opened my 3.5 and the material setup automatically showed the last used settings
W
Cheers
Wolffie

Whatshammacallit
Cut3D, VCarvePro 6.5, Aspire4, PhotoVCarve, Corel Graphics Suite X6

GraClay

Post by GraClay »

Thanks Wolfie, mine also defaults to the last setting used but that's not what i what I am trying to achieve.
In the material thickness I'd like to make a default setting of say 10mm regardless of how thick the last job was.

With regards to "origin offset" when I open a new job the template defaults to the "origin offset" of the file that I am opening.
I would like the default setting to be "origin offset" unchecked and "centre data in job" checked.

Are you sure yours is different?

Ms Wolffie
Vectric Wizard

Post by Ms Wolffie »

I have had a good look around and I cannot find anywhere to change default settings.
Both my origin offset and and centre data in jobs are always unchecked.
Your imported models will always default to where they were saved last, whether it is in Aspire or another program, then you have to select it and tell it where you want it placed.
In Aspire4 that option has been simplified.
Cheers
Wolffie
Cheers
Wolffie

Whatshammacallit

kilrabit
Vectric Wizard

Post by kilrabit »

Graham,

Whit I do to accomplish what you are doing is to make a new aspire file with the settings I want to keep and use consistently. Save the file as something like "Default Aspire File."

I usually place this on my desktop, right click it and go to properties, and make it "Read Only", this way you cannot change the file, you always have to save your new file with a new name as "Save As" and this original file always remains the same. Just double click it to open it.

Roy

GraClay

Post by GraClay »

OK, it appears Aspire 4 still defaults as per 3.5.

So the question remains the same, how can I change these default settings?

regards, Graham
Attachments
Image1.jpg

GraClay

Post by GraClay »

Thanks for the tip Roy and that will be handy for other purposes but still doesnt fix my problem.
Using that strategy I still have to reposition the imported vectors to zero/zero.

Pic attached.

regards, Graham
Attachments
import.jpg

Bob Reda
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot 48x48 upgraded prt

Post by Bob Reda »

Grahm,
That always happens when someone sends me some files. I don't know the reason, might be the difference between the two programs. But I got kinda used to it when they send dxf files and just center the vectors in the middle of the work area. I know this doesn't help you, but I just wanted you to know it happens to others to.

Bob

kilrabit
Vectric Wizard

Post by kilrabit »

I can get you closer but not exactly what you want.

As soon as you import, hit the "F" key, then use the center icon and it will usually get them close. It depends on how far apart they are when you start.

Roy

GraClay

Post by GraClay »

Thanks all for the replies. I'd be interested in a comment form Vectric in case it's there but I'm unable to find it.
Maybe there is currently no way of changing those particular defaults and that could on the wish list for 4.5

I was able to change the default so that I can leave the toolpath template always docked in case anyone is interested.

regards, Graham

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

How are you opening the files? In some of your posts you mention imported vectors.

If you're opening DXF or similar files then it will use the origin offset specified in the file. That's not a matter of defaults it's doing what it should.

If you start a new job in Aspire and set the values as you want them, click OK and close Aspire those values will be set for any new jobs from then on. Note that if you load a file it will use the values in that file, the defaults will be used for new jobs only.

Ms Wolffie
Vectric Wizard

Post by Ms Wolffie »

I knew someone would be able to explain it much better than I did.
Thanks Adrian
Cheers
Wolffie
Cheers
Wolffie

Whatshammacallit

cac67
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Joes Evo 3x2

Post by cac67 »

You're asking for something that doesn't exist. There are no defaults for those fields, that's why it's always at what you used last. Kilrabit gave you a method that will allow you to open a new project with the settings you want as "default" every time but importing vectors from another program will import the settings used to create those vectors also. The only thing you can do for that is to import them then correct their positioning.

GraClay

Post by GraClay »

Adrian, I am "opening" files, mainly those that I have created on other programs, some I receive from others. Technically those vectors then become "imported". But lets the leave the word imported out if that is causing confusion. I am not using the "import" tool though just opening a new job of existing vectors created elsewhere.

By default Aspire has "origin offset" checked and every single time I uncheck it. Then every single time I check "centre data in job". So my question was purely "can anyone please tell me to how change these settings to my default when opening a job?" The current "default" settings do exist and there are some default settings within Aspire that can be changed such as I now have the toolpath tab docked permanently, maybe the ones that I require can be changed too.

Cac67, Kilrabits suggestion whilst very much appreciated does not do what I need, I tried it and then of course you "import" the vectors which by default are placed at whatever position the vectors were created, not necessarily zero/zero.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Graham, the origin offset comes from the file you are loading.

I just tested this out with a bunch of DXF files I have. If the part was drawn in AutoCad with the left and bottom at 0,0 then the
"Use Offset" (I run V4) is unchecked and the values are 0,0. If I load a DXF that was drawn with 0,0 anywhere else, the "Use Offset" box is checked and the values indicate how far the lower left corner of the drawing is from 0,0.

Hope this helps you out.