Vector Art 3d Newbie help needed.

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire

Vector Art 3d Newbie help needed.

Postby jkleitner » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:14 pm

I am very new to Aspire and Vectric software in general and I am having a problem that I know there is a simple solution for. I am using one of the included clipart files with Aspire, the Deer scene, and I am trying to carve it into a lid of a box. When I import the file, it sits on top of the lid so I would have to machine the entire lid of the box around the oval and the pattern would sit out of the lid. I want the lid to be flat and the oval to go into the lid with the entire 3d object at or below the z 0 point. I have clicked the add/subtract and changed overall height of the 3d object in its properties but I cant seem to make it work correctly. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Josh
Attachments
screen shot.JPG
jkleitner
Vectric Apprentice

Model of CNC Machine: homebuilt

Re: Vector Art 3d Newbie help needed.

Postby WhittlinShed » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:36 pm

the clipart should have three versions...version A is like what you have used in the pic, version B would give you an inset oval, and version C would give you a kinda notched inset pattern....so see if you have this file with a B....it should be what you are looking for...
WhittlinShed

Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot PRT Standard

Postby WhittlinShed » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:38 pm

look in the modeling tab, and make sure your base height is set to 0.0
WhittlinShed

Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot PRT Standard

Postby jkleitner » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:44 pm

THank you for your suggestions. I am using version B of the drawing and Base Height is set to 0 but it still appears to be sticking out of the model.
jkleitner
Vectric Apprentice

Postby zeeway » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:10 pm

Click on the vector that defines the outer shape of the lid, and make it a 3d component with thickness of whatever you want the lid to be. Put this first in the list of the components. Make your deer scene have a shape height that is less than the lid height. Set both components to merge. Should work.

Angie
zeeway
Vectric Wizard

Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Postby sawmiller » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:40 pm

the other thing you can do, is to make a componet the size of your work piece and the thickness of your work piece
using the flat componet, make the board for example .75" thick, then you put your art on it, you can see how it relates. a lot of times you need to make a flat componet anyways, due to jaggies at the edge of your artwork
( ps you wont actually use the board componet, it's just to make sure how your shallow bowl relates to it )
arrgh tim can expalain it better :oops:
or angie
woodmizer sawmill and joe's hybrid cnc, a good combination
In the heart of Tn
sawmiller
Vectric Wizard

Model of CNC Machine: joe's rack and pinion hybrid

Postby Mike-S » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:53 pm

Did you continue to twiddle it to an end view, with the mouse or X plane Y plane buttons. It will look like it's sitting on top until the view is edge-on.
Or try the finishing tool carving pre-view.
Attachments
deer-2.jpg
Mike-S
Vectric Wizard

Model of CNC Machine: Joe's Hybrid 4x4 (but 3x3)

Postby tmerrill » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:12 pm

Hi Josh,

The easiest way to do this is set the Z-zero point to the top of the material, which means you only need to have the model height less than the material thickness (plus the extra material you need for strength), then position the model with the Gap above Model set to 0.0 as shown in the first picture.

If you accurately z-zero your bit, this will machine the recess and the edge of the deer scene should blend smoothly with the lid.

Be sure to create a vector oval around the deer scene to limit the Roughing and Finishing toolpaths. Easiest way to do this is by using the icon in in the Modeling tools. See this:

http://support.vectric.com/aspire-quest ... g-3d-model

Tim
Attachments
Gap above model.JPG
Deer scene done.JPG
tmerrill
Vectric Archimage

Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Postby jkleitner » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:39 pm

Thank you all for the help. As I said, I am still learning this software and everyone's experience is a big help. It turns out, I was doing everything correct andwhen i twiddled to look down the x axis at z0, it clearly shows the image below the top surface. When I compute a 3d toolpath, it looks correct. Thank you for your assistance.

Josh.
jkleitner
Vectric Apprentice

Return to Aspire - Tips and Tricks