wood filler for exterior sign

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire

wood filler for exterior sign

Postby Bobbo » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:47 pm

Hope someone has an idea to help.
I'm making an exterior sign out of OMD exterior sign board. I had to splice two sections since the final sign was larger than my CNC. The customer supplied a semi-gloss Benjamin Moore paint and even with some sanding and filling with an epoxy filler I still see imperfections under the paint.

What next? Sand the area and reapply more filler to a larger area and try again? Or am I going to see some sort of seam regardless?

Or do I just advise him to allow me to use a less glossy paint to help hide the marks?

thanks
Bobbo

BobboArt.com
Bobbo
Vectric Apprentice

Model of CNC Machine: Romaxx WD-1

Re: wood filler for exterior sign

Postby zeeway » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:47 am

I have had good results with Bondo to hide seams - takes some time and patience (and a random orbital sander).

Angie
zeeway
Vectric Wizard

Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Postby Bobbo » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:46 pm

TY, If my customer isn't happy I'll give it a shot.
Bobbo

BobboArt.com
Bobbo
Vectric Apprentice

Postby ger21 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:20 pm

Preparation is 90% of the finish. If you see the seam, then you didn't do a good enough job filling and sanding prior to painting.

Sometimes blending fillers can be difficult if they are harder or softer than the surrounding surface, as the filler will tend to sand at a different rate. Careful sanding with a long sanding block should help to get a smooth surface.
If you can feel any defects during the prep work, you'll definitely see them when paint is applied.
Gerry
ger21
Vectric Wizard

Postby Joe Crumley » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:34 am

Bobo,

This is about a difficult problem as an artist can have.

Even if you get a beautiful solution for now the boards will continue to move. That means there will be a crack later on. The best joint for this kind of work is a Scarf Joint. I'd then cover the seam with a 2" strip of Kevlar and epoxy. Feather sand it smooth. With these two techniques you'll have a good chance of not having the crack show up later. I'd lay some money on it.
Joe Crumley
Vectric Wizard

Postby Bobbo » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:48 am

Just saw your post from a few weeks ago - been off list

that's a good idea, kind of like spackle tape.
I have been using biscuits about every 6" and the best exterior waterproof tite bond glue, primer and at least 2 coats of exterior paint. I would think that will hold without any seem splitting. I guess time will tell.
Bobbo

BobboArt.com
Bobbo
Vectric Apprentice

Postby Joe Crumley » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:02 pm

Bobo,

No matter how many buscuits or how good the glue, it will always show a crack with time. The technique that will solve the problem if carbon fiber laid up with epoxy. Another option, if the scarf joint is too difficult, is to open up the edges with a V bit and filling with epoxy, then lay up with carbon fiber.
Joe Crumley
Vectric Wizard

Return to Aspire - Tips and Tricks