Ball Nose Bits

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
crash5050
Vectric Craftsman

Ball Nose Bits

Post by crash5050 »

What sizes of Ball nose bits are in your aresenals? Watching a video on the DVD I see they use 2 inch and 1 inch ball nose bits. Are they used often enought to spend the money on them?

David

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Ball Nose Bits

Post by Adrian »

It's all down to the size of work you normally do. If you're going to do 5 foot mantels then large ball noses have their place but if you're doing rosettes and other small work you'll never use one.

The biggest one I have is 8mm and I've probably used it once in the last 5 years. The 1/4" one gets used for pretty much everything.

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510,24x48 GCnC/WinCNC

Post by dealguy11 »

Another use for large ball nose bits is turning applications using an indexer. I have a 1", 1.25" and 1.5" that I use frequently, for roughing, finishing and cutting coves.

For flat work I use 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 and 1/16 round nose bits. The larger 1/2 bit is for large curved carvings, like the front of a vanity.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

dhellew2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Artisan 72 and AVID CNC Rotary

Post by dhellew2 »

Primarily I use 1/8" ball nose spiral tapered bits for carving and 1/2" for rough cutting and finishing projects like serving trays. You can find some of these projects in the gallery.

Most of my bits are 3 or 4 flute spiral bits. The spiral and the more flutes the smoother the cut. Bits made for metal work better and last longer than most that are made for wood at about the same price. I have found no better bits than those at http://www.bqtool.com/ They also re-sharpen many of their bits at a fraction of the cost.

Dale
You will get old if you live long enough!
Young = time, no money
Old = money, no time
Dale

crash5050
Vectric Craftsman

Post by crash5050 »

Thanks for the info Guys.

David

lenwardus

Post by lenwardus »