DXF output --Spiral toolpath/g-code- HELP!!

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Mike E
Vectric Craftsman

DXF output --Spiral toolpath/g-code- HELP!!

Post by Mike E »

I not sure where this issues lies but here ya go. I created a vector drawing that I used to get a DXF file for import into other software for plasma cutting a metal sign.
After running the post processor and importing the G-code into Mach3 I ended up with a spiral toolpath in the Z axis. Being a Noob at all this I scraped out 4 pieces of steel plus a crapload of torch consumables. The torch would cut circular segments and stop. Spiral up or down depending on the direction. I am assuming that this probably overwhelmed my torch hieght control because I was diving in or raising up all the time. I could not get torch volts to control torch height at all.
I thought maybe the drawing was to complicated, so I drew 5 concentric circles and tried that. After loading the g-code I had 5 circles but at 5 different levels. The torch was cutting segments and diving in or raisng up depending on direction of cut.
I have attached a couple of screen captures of the tool path, the Aspire job, and the other software job with the post if someone wants to bring it into Mach3.
Any help, thoughts, would be greatly appreciated. I would really like to get this torch up and running automated.
Whoops I left the DXF file at the shop, you can create one from the Aspire program part.

Thanks
Mike
Attachments
FAST DRAW-2.crv3d
(232.5 KiB) Downloaded 168 times
spiral toolpath.pdf
(321 KiB) Downloaded 221 times
top view spiral toolpath.pdf
(325.18 KiB) Downloaded 161 times
sheetcam and post.zip
(78.68 KiB) Downloaded 152 times
Mike E
CuttingandCarving.com

BrianM
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: A few ...

Re: DXF output --Spiral toolpath/g-code- HELP!!

Post by BrianM »

Hi Mike,

I'm afraid you will need to visit the other software forum / web-site for help with this, other software has nothing to do with Vectric.

Regards

Brian

Mike E
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Mike E »

I thought I would try here first because Aspire created the DXF file. I'm not sure where the base of the problem is. I created 5 circles in the Solidworks DXF editor and they looked fine, all on one plane in Mach3 after posting out of other software

MIke
Mike E
CuttingandCarving.com

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SX3 CNC, DIY 24x20 & 48x60 routers

Post by metalworkz »

Hi Mike,

I loaded the Aspire file and it all looks good to me. I think the problem must be on the other software side of things or somewhere in between taking it from Aspire and to the next step.
I hope you get it resolved, and it would be great to see the finished part. Good luck.
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:
Lathe, Horiz. Mill, Shaper, Leaf Brake

Gippetto
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Infotec

Post by Gippetto »

It looks a bit familiar with an issue i encountered, in my case it was a toolpath strategy.
(not behind aspire right now so i need to do it from top of my head).
If you build up your work with different toolpath, try the following:
Save them seperately,
check wich one does cause this.
change the cutter strategy for this one. (i think the strategy from inward to outward caused it in my case.)
and try again.

Pls let me know if it helps.

Regards,
Ruud.
http://www.gippetto.eu

Mike E
Vectric Craftsman

Re: DXF output: Resolved

Post by Mike E »

Found out it was a setting in post proceesor in other software, The length between Z zero references. Easy explanation: high number = less spiral, low number = more spiral

Thanks
Mike
Mike E
CuttingandCarving.com

gravirozo
Vectric Wizard

Post by gravirozo »

hi guyz....
there could be wrong during the conversion to g-code... if the spiral comes out of 2D, probably one of the proggys putted on a Z elevation....
you can erase it in a wordpad, or looking for what happened...
also if you generated spline, or bezier then the dxf fileformat is not designed for splines... neither spline, nor for any kind of mathematical curvature...
only for arc and line...\
before you try to convert your drawing, be sure it contain only arches and if it is available "chain" together the all arches....
the cut 2d is a pretty good stuff, priced fraction of "serious cad-cam", and it's handling separated the arc and beziers... simpleway you can shift between....
this small program eventually shows up functions like 3d and others, you can find in thoushand dollars programs...

also it's post processor can save your spiral for arches, or just for lines make sure your stuff can handle it... ie the g-code has two way, the absolute, and the relative... the different only the descriptions of circles-arches....

if you save your g-code ""lined"" you can use with any interpreter..