need help making back up disk

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
larryo
Vectric Craftsman

need help making back up disk

Post by larryo »

I have a problem. I got my replacement disk friday morning. This time it took only a week as they sent it out before I got the first one. That is what I call service. They knew I would need one and sent it out. Ialso got the disk sent be UPS it came in friday night. Talk about service. Everything in canada takes so long to get here. But the vectric team is really on there toes. My only problem is, I Have been trying to make a working disk so I dont have to use my good one. Just in case. But every time I try to copy the disk my dragon burner will not make a copy. Said illegal manuver. I tryed with nero 7 it copied it. But my machine cant read the disk. Is there a way to make a working copy, so as I watch the videos and not ruin the good disk. PLEASE dont say make a copy to the hard drive as I have already tryed that. maybe I am doing something wrong. HELP.

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SX3 CNC, DIY 24x20 & 48x60 routers

Re: need help making back up disk

Post by metalworkz »

Does your drive write to DVD's? Maybe the drive reads DVD but only burns CD format?
It does not seem to make sense, but I guess they make the drives with many different formats? Just a thought.
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:
Lathe, Horiz. Mill, Shaper, Leaf Brake

capnl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Heiz Z-1000

Post by capnl »

Hi,

if your sysyem reads the dvd then copy the entire disk to your harddisk and put the dvd in your safe.

Run the tutorials etc from harddisk works perfect for me !!

Greetz from The Netherlands

John van Gent
CAP Maquettes NL / DRW-Holland
DRW-Holland
CNC-Step S-1000 machine 1000 x 590 x 110 mm
Aspire - VCarve Pro - Photo VCarve - Cut3D

larryo
Vectric Craftsman

Post by larryo »

Yes my drive does make dvds. I have one 3.5 inch floppy drive. One cd drive and one brand new dvd drive. I got it just for espire as I have never had a need for a dvd drive until now. with the new drive I got nero7. Which burns dvd to dvd or as is said a copy. The worse thing is It will not even let me put the file on the hard drive or c drive???? I can copy anything else with the dvd drive even movies. I even tryed to copy to my flash drive then back to dvd. No luck. I was wondering if the rest of you have made a back up disk. and did you have any problems.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Something weird is going on with your disk if you can't copy it to the hard disk drive. I just selected everything on mine and dragged it onto a folder on my C: drive, took a few minutes but worked fine.

Are you getting an error message when you try?

capnl
Vectric Wizard

Post by capnl »

I did the same as Adrian, and made a copy on dvd while the original dvd is stored in my safe.

John
DRW-Holland

Monte55
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Monte55 »

It seems the question was not answered, or at least to me it wasn't. Can one make a copy of the Aspire DVD or not. I also need to do this but haven't tried yet.
I'm a tool lovin fool.

capnl
Vectric Wizard

Post by capnl »

I have made a copy of the dvd by use of NERO7 - from DVD to DVD

So my dvd was "copy-able"

John
DRW-Holland

cac67
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Joes Evo 3x2

Post by cac67 »

Monte55 wrote:It seems the question was not answered, or at least to me it wasn't. Can one make a copy of the Aspire DVD or not. I also need to do this but haven't tried yet.
Yes, you can copy the Aspire dvd. I did it, and even added the bonus art to the iso before I burned it. But I'm not using windows, I'm using Kubuntu 8.04. I ripped it to iso with K3B, then added the bonus stuff to the iso with Iso master, then burned it to a blank dvd with K3b. I'm using the burned one while I store the other one.

You can download a livecd of kubuntu and run it off of your cd drive, and use k3b to copy the disk. You'll need to mount one of your hard drives and make that your working directory in k3b first, and this will be a lot slower than if it was installed on a hard drive, but it's doable.

You can get kubuntu here. I don't know if 8.10 comes with k3b, it uses a different version of kde than I do so I use 8.04.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

metalworkz wrote:Does your drive write to DVD's? Maybe the drive reads DVD but only burns CD format?
It does not seem to make sense, but I guess they make the drives with many different formats? Just a thought.

It was in a way. If you can copy it to the hard disk then it can also be copied to a DVD either directly or via the hard disk.

All built in on Vista (or lots of freebies on XP) and only takes a few minutes. Whether the license allows a copy to be made is another matter.

larryo
Vectric Craftsman

Post by larryo »

I am sorry but my internet is acting up I tryed to post got it nearly done and lost it will try again. I was able to make a copy with nero7 but my machine said nothing on disk the one I printed. When I tryed to save to hard drive nothing. When I tryed to burn with my dragon burner it did the first part and put file into storage to prin then when I put the new disk in it said illegal manover. I done need the apire program all I need is the tutorials and clip art. I was hoping that I maybe could copy on part of it if nothing else. I will try to copy it again. must have did somthing wrong.

dr_when
Vectric Wizard

Post by dr_when »

Yes, you must have "did" something wrong. You may need to spend some time on a PC help forum. Copying DVD's is pretty basic Larryo. I made DVD copies with no problems and run all the tutorials off a hard drive. Again, basic stuff.
Bob

"He's no fun, he fell right over" - Firesign Theatre

larryo
Vectric Craftsman

Post by larryo »

IGOT IT. Itryed again to burn a dvd I am use to burning cds. This time it worked. I used nero7. I put the file in the hard drive. It whent in different from what I was use to. Then I burnt it to the dvd. and put on check. It worked HRAAAA. I must have used the wrong part to try to burn. yestrday it said nothing on the disk today it burnt well. then I put the disk I burnt sat. back into the dvd player to check it. it checked the disk and now it also works. Now I have two working disks plus the ones the vectric team sent. Everything is perfect now thaks for all the help.

larryo
Vectric Craftsman

Post by larryo »

I made a mistake it in the last line it was to say . THANKS FOR THE HELP.