How do I get a smooth edge between a 3D area and flat

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
davidmillerlowe
Model of CNC Machine: Home Built

How do I get a smooth edge between a 3D area and flat

Post by davidmillerlowe »

Hi Folks;

I'm working on an elaborate birdhouse of all things, I have a 3D siding that I bound within what is supposed to appear as trim. What I keep getting are the roughing and finish paths of the ballnose bits keep invading the parts of the design that are supposed to be flat.

In the picture below, the irregular boundary shows up worst near the eve of the roof.. I tried to run a .09 V-Groove around the door and window but the clearance tool even get's sloppy around that...

Does anyone know how much boundary area should I plan on around a 'bounded' carve area so that I can have good looking trim. When I paint this thing it's gonna show up pretty well.

Miller
Attachments
bumpyBirdhouse.jpg

lstovall
Vectric Craftsman

Re: How do I get a smooth edge between a 3D area and flat

Post by lstovall »

I think I would have made the eaves, siding and corners (frame around the wall) all one 3D tool path leaving flat areas for the door and window. Then come back and V-Carved the design on the door and window. As for allowance, most of the time 1/2 the diameter of the tool or maybe just a bit more should be clearance enough. I did pretty much the same thing on a house number except for the V-Carve portion.
Attachments
Num.JPG
Num.JPG (6.36 KiB) Viewed 720 times
Marv