Vista in 64 bit

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Dank
Model of CNC Machine: Home brew gantry and two Taig CNC mills

Vista in 64 bit

Post by Dank »

I finally had to take the leap. I now own Aspire. 8) The upgrade offer is just too good to let pass the deadline. (Hurry!) It's been just about a year since I bought the V-Carve Pro suite (VC Pro with Photo and Cut3D)

What I want to mention in this post to anyone who may be wondering, is that I run all the Vectric software including the new Aspire on my AMD 64 Athalon X2 computer running 64 bit MS Vista Ultimate operating system with no problems at all.

Now read this very carefully. Vectric in NOT 64 bit software. I am NOT running the Vectric software in 64 bit mode. I AM running Vectric software in 32 bit mode within the 64 bit operating system. Vista is designed to do this and at this point in time is working very well for me.

Just today I built a PC for my (37 year old) son Steve. I loaded Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS on his new AMD 64 Athlon X2 6000 (3.1 GHz) machine. He doesn't NEED 64 bit OS but I have several programs that do. The point is that Vista 64 is mature enough now to run current 32 bit software with no problems. So I have moved early into the new, wider address and memory space and all is well, just in case you were wondering.

Some day (soon) most graphic (maybe even Vectric) software will want more than 4 GB of RAM. 64 bit software and a 64 bit OS is the only way to get there. Steve and I will be waiting. :)
Dan'l

Thkoutsidthebox
Vectric Wizard

Re: Vista in 64 bit

Post by Thkoutsidthebox »

Sounds good. And congrats to you on Aspire, and also your son on his new computer! :D

Dank

Post by Dank »

Thanks "Thkoutsidthebox"

There seems to still be some distrust about Vista. That's what prompted my contribution. I've been experimenting several months. I trust Vista64 enough to build one for my son <$400.

The real world still writes and runs 32 bit software, including Vectric. A 64 bit OS is still "outside of the box" but it is here today, it does work and is the only path to using large amounts of RAM in the future. SO if someone is considering a new 64 bit computer, Vectric runs fine. (I did check it out with the demo version first!) :)
Dan'l

dr_when
Vectric Wizard

Post by dr_when »

I have been running Aspire on a 64 bit Vista laptop for a couple of months with no problem. Of course that does not change the fact that Vista is Microsoft's worst effort at an operating system- filled with glitches, bugs and bloat. Hopefully Windoze 7 will address all the problems.
Bob

"He's no fun, he fell right over" - Firesign Theatre

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but from everything I've read, software runs faster in XP than Vista. And until the next version of Windows (7?) comes out, people are going to still stick with XP, if they have a choice.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

Thkoutsidthebox
Vectric Wizard

Post by Thkoutsidthebox »

Well I'm still using XP, but only because I never update my OS until I'm updating my machine completely. I'm sure when I update next it'll be Vista, or its successor.

Dank

Post by Dank »

Heh, Heh... :lol:

I thought I might draw out a few MS bashers. :P
What I expected was the fanboys for Intel v/s AMC to start wailing.

Of course this is not he place for any kind of bashing.This forum is about what will run Vectric, and Vectric is currently written for Windows and runs fine in the 64 bit version of the Vista OS.
Dan'l