Unable to view tutorial files

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
zaaephod
Vectric Craftsman

Unable to view tutorial files

Post by zaaephod »

Good morning guys :)

I've got my aspire CD, and I was able to install the software from the disc, and I also copied the clip-art off of the disc too.

Problem is, no matter what I do, I can't view the tutorial files.

If I use the Aspire splash screen buttons to navigate to the videos, as soon as I click one, the system just hangs. Eventually, sometimes I'll get an error: "cyclic redundancy check". Most times though, it just gets stuck, and the only way to unfreeze the PC (which becomes extremely slugglish) is to eject the CD.

I'm running out of tricks. We have 6 computers around here, and a couple at the shop, and none of them will play the videos. I've tried running the AVI files using media player, winamp, and a variety of other programs with no luck. It seems that as soon as you do anything to the video file such as right click it, double click, it freezes the pc. Each pc I've tried are varying ages, with different software, except they all run windows xp. I even tried a newer DVD player, and it won't play avi's.

My main PC is as follows:
Windows XP Home SP3
Intel Quad Core 2.4ghz Q6600 G0
4gb Crucial ballistix tracer ram (only 3.25 visible by xp of course)
Nvidia GeForce 8800 Ultra
Asus DRW-2014L1T CD/Lightscribe drive
Creative Fatal1ty XFI Sound Card

I've done all the driver updating I can think of, video, sound, flash player, quicktime, directx, etc.

I can play any other AVI without issue.

The CD looks ... well it looks kind of rough, though I've had worse CD's play just fine.

I know that the video files are large, but I have a pretty fast internet connection, I download movies on my main pc on occasion. Are the videos hosted somewhere I could maybe try to download them?

I know I have a lot to learn about Aspire, and so far haven't found a way to see the full tutorials :?

Thanks again, you guys have all been great about every other question I've had.

Z

RoutnAbout
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 24x18 Desktop

Re: Unable to view tutorial files

Post by RoutnAbout »

Hey Z,
Are you able to use some sort of File Manager and view the tutorial files in their proper directories with out it hanging?
If so try copying a Tutorial Video (like you did with the clip-art) to a hard drive and then attempt to view it.
Thats the only thing I can think of that possible could be done, since you've exhausted everything else.
Roll of Honor <-- Never Forget
________
Don

Dublinman
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Dublinman »

Thats the same computer George Lucas did Star Wars on :-) , thats hardly your issue, perhaps try burning the DVD to your C drive and watch from there. I have a variety from Junk to a Macbook Pro & I watch the vids on all of them. I think you can only download the Overview tutorials, the main ones reside on the DVD ( it appears ). Your disc could be bad I suppose - D
Alchemy CNC ~ Where Technology meets Imagination.

zaaephod
Vectric Craftsman

Post by zaaephod »

Sorry, forgot to mention that, I already tried ripping the cd, or a plain old copy. That's when I'm getting the "cyclic redundancy check" error message. I looked up what that means, and it appears it's some kind tool to verify data transfers. I get the same message on all the computers.

I must just have a 'wonky' cd, you think?

RoutnAbout
Vectric Wizard

Post by RoutnAbout »

That's what it sounds like....
Sorry Don't know what to tell you now unless.......If it'll help. I'll put the pot of coffee on and you can come watch Mine.. :mrgreen:
________
Don

zaaephod
Vectric Craftsman

Post by zaaephod »

Lol! I'd like nothing more. I'll be right over. Doh! you're rather far from home :mrgreen:

calgrdnr
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot prt with 4g upgrade

Post by calgrdnr »

Hey Z, On the Aspire disc in the Tutorial folder there is a encoder "ensharpendecoder_win.exe"
run that then your tutorials should work ... also the AVI only does sound on my PC make sure you use the "exe " file to run the tutorials

good luck

zaaephod
Vectric Craftsman

Post by zaaephod »

Awww, I was sure your suggestion was going to work, but no, it still hangs :(

Thanks though!

Thkoutsidthebox
Vectric Wizard

Post by Thkoutsidthebox »

I've never had any trouble with the Vectric CD.

BUT....I did have a huge amount of trouble with some .avi's a few days ago. I tried MediaPlayer, RealPlayer, DivX, QuickTime, and eventually even importing it into Windows Movie Maker. Nothing worked.

Someone suggested this, and to my surprise it worked! Might be worth a try:
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

zaaephod
Vectric Craftsman

Post by zaaephod »

Wow, that's incredible, I JUST got done trying videolan before I read your post. My brother recommended it.

No change though :?

My biggest thing here is that I'm not able to even copy the AVI's off the disc at all. I'm really leaning towards CD issues.

RoutnAbout
Vectric Wizard

Post by RoutnAbout »

Many months back I was having issues with a few DVD's/CD's and ran across this Blog.
I never had to use anything in this blog, But Bookedmarked it just incase I needed it.
Fix Scratched DVD's
Again I've never used anything posted on that page.
________
Don

Thkoutsidthebox
Vectric Wizard

Post by Thkoutsidthebox »

My money's on a bad CD. Email support@vectric.com .

HoustonFirefox
Vectric Craftsman

Post by HoustonFirefox »

zaaephod wrote:Sorry, forgot to mention that, I already tried ripping the cd, or a plain old copy. That's when I'm getting the "cyclic redundancy check" error message. I looked up what that means, and it appears it's some kind tool to verify data transfers. I get the same message on all the computers.

I must just have a 'wonky' cd, you think?
You have a bad disc. Ask Vectric to send another one. A CRC error is generated when the computer attempts to read off of some media (floppy, CD, etc) and what it reads is not what the file says it should be. It's a form of error-checking to make sure that your not reading in corrupt files.

Replace the CD :(
CNC Woodworkers do it with a 3D Touch Probe!

zaaephod
Vectric Craftsman

Post by zaaephod »

I'm attempting an ISO rip right now, its skipped some bad sectors on the disc, maybe I can salvage some of it. I'll report back once it's done :)

HoustonFirefox
Vectric Craftsman

Post by HoustonFirefox »

zaaephod wrote:I'm attempting an ISO rip right now, its skipped some bad sectors on the disc, maybe I can salvage some of it. I'll report back once it's done :)
That may work so it can't hurt to try. An alternative is simply to do a mass copy of the CD to a hard drive folder and click the "skip" button when any errors pop up. Chances are parts of the video will be missing but at least you can see some of them.

On another note, I tried ordering my Aspire upgrade yesterday from Vectric but guess they are out for the holidays :(
CNC Woodworkers do it with a 3D Touch Probe!