Profiling Offset

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Msolly

Profiling Offset

Post by Msolly »

I would like to request an offset and step over percentages for profiling. To the best of my knowledge, I only see this function available for pocketing. Attached is a picture of my most recent work where I could have used this function but instead I had to use Mechsoft's Visual mill. To help understand my request, I've included a picture of their profiling options.

Thanks,
Mark S.
Attachments
IMG_2448a.JPG
Profiling.JPG

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: Profiling Offset

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Can the same thing be achieved by creating an outward offset of the profile and then pocketing between the profile and the offset?
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

Msolly

Post by Msolly »

That was my first thought but it required some tricks so you don't waste time cutting air on the first few passes. Also, I wanted to use some of the arching-in and out on the leads and that would be hard to control using an extra bounding box. The options for offsetting and step over is in the profiling dialog box but they are greyed out.

BrianM
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: A few ...

Post by BrianM »

Hi Mark,

You can specify an 'allowance' on the profile toolpath form so you can generate two profile toolpaths, the first leaving an allowance on and the second exactly to size. You can then postprocess both toolpaths into the same file.

We have never had anyone ask for more than two passes on a profiling toolpath though.

Brian

tahustvedt
Vectric Craftsman

Post by tahustvedt »

What Brian said is almost exactly what I do. I make one spiral ramp toolpath with lots of allowance, one with very little allowance, and then a full depth finishing pass (no ramping) with a little bit of lead in and out to achieve a nice finish.