Finishing question

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
quardo

Finishing question

Post by quardo »

Hi,

Love aspire, loved vcarve. I can make some pretty nice signs and other things but one area where I struggle is in the finishing. I'm sure others feel the same way. You spend hours designing and cutting out a sign which looks fantastic, but when you go to finish it, the results are less then satisfactory. Straight stain is easy enough but when you do multiple colors it's tough to get a good result. That's even more difficult now with the 3d modelling since you can't really mask off an area.

Maybe we could start another group on this site or have a tutorial on finishing something like the Heron sign (in colors) included with the dvd. I think everyone would appreciate it and it would certainly increase the value of the product to the end users. Any thoughts?

joecnc2006
Vectric Wizard

Re: Finishing question

Post by joecnc2006 »

Very good Idea, I hesitate to cut many pieces, because I'm unsure how to finish it right.

One Example is to Use the Last Supper, and Add a nice Boarder on it with Aspire and cut it out, then how to finish it is a mistery to me, I'm not experience enough to do it, thats the one thing stopping me from cutting it, Even when Aspire makes it so Easy to cut.

What would be a Real benefit, is showing pictures or video of different stages of finishing.

Joe

Thkoutsidthebox
Vectric Wizard

Post by Thkoutsidthebox »

This is only m2c, but I think carvings like the last supper are nicer when finished rather plainly. I mean with little colouring inside the border. Maybe the border and background can be coloured, but I think it takes away if the details are essentially 'painted over'. But maybe thats just me....I like the look of wood grain and colour finished with a nice clear finish like shellac just to bring out the lustre.

Things like signs are of course a different kettle of fish altogether! A sign has to attract attention so good colouring is essential, but especially if its hardwood, I always try to leave some areas finished clear to show the wood underneath. I think it indicates a quality product. If your using something like sign foam or MDF, then thats a different story. IMVHO (Dont jump on me!)... I don't think sign foam (Despite the cost!) or MDF can be considered as elegant as a nice piece of hardwood, so they need to be covered up.

One of the biggest problem I have is trying to choose between matt, satin, or gloss clear finish. Generally if its inside I settle on blonde shellac, which technically I suppose is matt, but it looks so much nicer than matt varnish......imo. :)

I like finishing. Its the finishing that really brings out the life in a piece. Ok, so sometimes it goes wrong and the piece is a disappointment, but sometimes near the end of a piece the router misses steps or the chisel slips and ruins a piece also. Thats part of the trials and tribulations! :D

Burchtree
Vectric Wizard

Post by Burchtree »

People go though many trials and tribulations. Some of them actually happened.

Thkoutsidthebox
Vectric Wizard

Post by Thkoutsidthebox »

I meant to write "satin" up above for shellac....not "matt" obviously!!! Haha :oops:

Why can't I edit my previous post........the edit button has disappeared??? :?: :?

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

The responses to Quardo's post are very good but I believe his post has merit. Finishing is a large part of what we do. I think it is worthy of a dedicated section on the forum.

Burchtree
Vectric Wizard

Post by Burchtree »

I agree Phil. A Vectric wiki would be a big help too.
Dan
People go though many trials and tribulations. Some of them actually happened.

oxenham1
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Techno cnc

Post by oxenham1 »

Sometimes it takes a little longer, but we will cut alot of stuff out seperately and finish it
that way, then glue it up after its finished. Like in the "Maple sign" with the extreme colour change on the leaf, I would definately cut the maple seperately. Another great trick with stain and paint is to mask around the various parts so the centre of the tape is
in the middle of the radius left by the finishing cutter on the separate pieces. Burnish it down really well then cut the outline of those pieces with an x-acto knife through the tape and into the material. Peel away the tape then stain or paint away (gel stain works the best) You're probably best to rub the stain on near the edges instead of flooding it. And for a new colour meeting up with the previously done one, re-apply the tape and now you'll have a knife cut "guide" for when you re-cut the tape(just press the blade gently so as not to cut a new score but to stay in the already cut "track" done previously)
Always start with the lightest colour stain first and keep moving around the relief with the next darker colour.
A little time consuming and finiky but the results are great!

Hope this helps a bit.
Blog: http://www.fromaspiretobeyond.blogspot.com
Web: http://www.oxenhamdesign.com