Two Rail Sweep

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
rj_packwin
Vectric Apprentice

Two Rail Sweep

Post by rj_packwin »

Can someone explain the process of creating a two rail sweep. I created an ellipse inside of another larger ellipse. Selected both ellipses and tried to perform a two rail sweep.
1st ... what does this do? If want to create a radius valley between the two lines; how do I do this?
Thanks in advance for the explanation and help.

Ray

Greasetattoo
Vectric Wizard

Re: Two Rail Sweep

Post by Greasetattoo »

Did you watch the tutorial??
It explains how..

http://www.vectric.com/Videos/Aspire/V1 ... erview.htm

Monte55
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Monte55 »

This is what I did as a test.....................after making your rails............I made a circle.........node edited the lower
half away. Now I have only the top half. Select your rails and then the top half of the circle(cross section) make it a component and go to machining. I didn't get it at first either. It seems like a powerful tool to have.
I'm a tool lovin fool.

RoutnAbout
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 24x18 Desktop

Post by RoutnAbout »

rj_packwin wrote:Can someone explain the process of creating a two rail sweep. I created an ellipse inside of another larger ellipse. Selected both ellipses and tried to perform a two rail sweep.
1st ... what does this do? If want to create a radius valley between the two lines; how do I do this?
Thanks in advance for the explanation and help.

Ray
Ray, After creating your ellipse's select node mode to make sure the start point of each ellipse is place on each ellipse.
Create your sweep vector ( what ever shape you desire)
Then under modeling tools select the 2nd icon from the left on the top row.
The 2 rail sweep dialog box will appear, make sure that it says a valid selection.
Press the Add button.
Roll of Honor <-- Never Forget
________
Don

rj_packwin
Vectric Apprentice

Post by rj_packwin »

Alright, that was a lot of help. But I still have the error message. I have selected each ellipse in node editing. I have chosen a point on each ellipse directly across from one another and created a start point on each. I created a 3rd vector, half circle, and then selected all three vectors using the selection mode. With all 3 vectors highlighted -- I next clicked on the two rail sweep icon. Window pops up and I still "invalid selection of drive rails." HELP .....

What am I doing wrong ????

Ray :oops:

harryball
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRT Alpha

Post by harryball »

hmm... I can't imagine what is happening of you've done all the right steps. Once you create your two vectors and the half circle you want and can't create the rails, save the file and upload it here. I'll see if I can create the rails using what you have prepared. If it works I'll post the exact steps I took or if it won't work I'll see if I can figure out what's not right.

/RB
Robert
http://www.habitatforbats.org
Give a Bat a Home!

RoutnAbout
Vectric Wizard

Post by RoutnAbout »

rj_packwin wrote:Alright, that was a lot of help. But I still have the error message. I have selected each ellipse in node editing. I have chosen a point on each ellipse directly across from one another and created a start point on each. I created a 3rd vector, half circle, and then selected all three vectors using the selection mode. With all 3 vectors highlighted -- I next clicked on the two rail sweep icon. Window pops up and I still "invalid selection of drive rails." HELP .....
What am I doing wrong ????
Ray :oops:
Ray, I'm not sure how your selecting your rails and sweep. But there is only one way you can select these.

Select Rail 1
Select Rail 2
The last thing you select is the sweep.
I hope that helps. If it doesn't we'll going to need a photo.
________
Don

rj_packwin
Vectric Apprentice

Post by rj_packwin »

Robert,

Seems the file is too large to upload. I will try emailing it to you and possibly you could help me figure this. This is my first model on the trial software. I ordered Aspire last night. I want to make a shooting box to go along with my son's shotgun. We shoot sporting clays together.

Let me know if you receive the file .... it will be from rj_packwin@hotmail.com

Thanks,

Ray

rj_packwin
Vectric Apprentice

Post by rj_packwin »

File is too large .... can't upload.

rj_packwin
Vectric Apprentice

Post by rj_packwin »

You guys are great .... I read everything through one more time. Reset my node points, decided there might be something wrong with my half circle ... deleted it and recreated in a different way ... it worked!!!!

I can sleep.

Thanks,

Ray

RoutnAbout
Vectric Wizard

Post by RoutnAbout »

rj_packwin wrote:You guys are great .... I read everything through one more time. Reset my node points, decided there might be something wrong with my half circle ... deleted it and recreated in a different way ... it worked!!!!
I can sleep.
Thanks,
Ray
I'm glad you were able to figure it out... this software is uhmmm ASPIRING... and addicting.
rj_packwin wrote:You guys are great .... Ray
We'll when you have Guys like Tony Mac, BrianM, Mark setting the bar, some of their knowledge and hospitality has to rub off on you....
________
Don