Height Changing

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Erik F
Vectric Apprentice

Height Changing

Post by Erik F »

I know there is already a tip in the tips and trick section, but this really seems to be screwing me up...is there a fix on the way for this? It seems if I hit the delete in the component manager there remains another 3d image under it that can only be cleared by hitting the Clear contents of the working model.

lstovall
Vectric Craftsman

Re: Height Changing

Post by lstovall »

I think the working model is a separate entity or a 2D rendition (gray/yellow scale) of the component. Just deleting the component wont clear the working model.
Marv

Erik F
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Erik F »

I have only tried it on jpegs to 3d, but when you open the compent manager and don't make any changes you can hit the delete button and it deletes the 3d image from the 3d plane, but if you make a change and then delete it deletes a "top layer" and leaves another 3d image in the 3d plane

lstovall
Vectric Craftsman

Post by lstovall »

That sounds correct. If you can make a change I think the image has to be in the working model. When you hit delete from the component manager it deletes the component but not the working model. That must be deleted separately.
Marv

Erik F
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Erik F »

If you go into component manager and change the model to an exact height, say .05" tall and then save it...it doubles in height...after you save into the working model...even it will still say .05" however. If you exit Component manager and go into the adjust height button, and go to change to exact height...it will say .1".

lstovall
Vectric Craftsman

Post by lstovall »

I think I have reached the limit of my ability right now. I'm still pretty new at this so maybe one of those 3D gurus will chime in. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
Marv

CRFultz
Vectric Wizard

Post by CRFultz »

Erik F wrote:If you go into component manager and change the model to an exact height, say .05" tall and then save it...it doubles in height...after you save into the working model...even it will still say .05" however. If you exit Component manager and go into the adjust height button, and go to change to exact height...it will say .1".
When you say you are saving it, do you mean you are copying it to the working model? Everything that is placed into the working model will be exaggerated in height. From the Component Manager, uncheck the component, it will go back to the original height. I forgot to add, once the item has been placed into the Working Model, it will double in height, but if you go to Sculpting mode it will revert back to it's original height. The explanation for this would best be explained by Brian.

Chuck

BrianM
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: A few ...

Post by BrianM »

Erik F wrote:I know there is already a tip in the tips and trick section, but this really seems to be screwing me up...is there a fix on the way for this? It seems if I hit the delete in the component manager there remains another 3d image under it that can only be cleared by hitting the Clear contents of the working model.
Hi Erik,

I've replied to your post in another thread, but for anyone reading this thread I'll quote part of the reply here
To be succesful with Aspire people must grasp the difference between the 'Working Model' and components. The early tutorials cover this extensively as does the 'Introductiuon to 3D Modelling' PDF document (this is linked from the 'Gettting Started - 3D' entry in the Aspire section of the start menu and also from the Aspire DVD installer). It is vital that people work through these early tutorials to ensure they understand the basic concepts of the program before moving onto more advanced areas.
Deleting a component will not affect the contents of the working model (and they shouldn't). Deleting the contents of the Working Model will not affect any components (and it shouldn't). Please work through the early tutorials to make sure you understand what the difference between the 'working model' and the components are in Aspire and I'm sure you will make progress much more quickly.

Brian

Erik F
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Erik F »

I thought I had a better understanding than I actually do. I have gone through some but not all the tutorials. I don't want to confuse things for anyone else on the forum so for that I am sorry. Thanks as usual for the prompt replies.

Erik

CRFultz
Vectric Wizard

Post by CRFultz »

Eric, myself, i don't think apologies is necessary. Some of the users were able to pick this up right away. I am still struggling to some degree on understanding why things in the software behave the way they do. This is my first experience with 3D software and sometimes it's frustrating. I have learned quite abit in the last couple of months and I feel eventually I'll be able to grasp the concept of thinking in more then one plane. Jame's tut's have helped alot, but watching one time doesn't work for me at all. That just shows how thick headed I am. I have transfered the tut videos over to a ipod so I can listen without watching and try to anticipate what Jame will do next. I follow along on my computer and try to stay one step ahead. I feel this has helped out alot for me anyways. When I can produce the final outcome without using his video then I feel I can move on to the next one. There are going to be hundreds of questions asked in the future just as there were with VCP when it was released. I have the impression that you may already know some of the answers. Your participation along with everyone else here is in part what makes Vectric products highly desirable. Vectric has been able to do what no body else in this industry has been able to accomplish. (IMO) A VERY loyal fan base with industry leading support. We (me) look forward to your inputs and hopefully we will all learn this together.

RAH RAH RAH...i know :D
I'm done rambling for now....

Erik F
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Erik F »

Thanks CR,
I have been very impressed with how fast not only the members answer, but the Vectric staff come to our aid also. I have been struggling with learning 3d software for a couple years, and since its something I don't do everyday...it makes it very hard. I'm excited about Aspire though...we looked at ArtCam years ago and decided it was way too much money for us to spend up front...not to mention the monthly fee. So we are very much looking forward to getting all we can out of Aspire! Thanks for the kind comments.

Erik

GripUs
Vectric Wizard

Post by GripUs »

Welcome to the board, Erik,
I have noticed when folks ask question here, they are not the only ones who have that question. The rest of us are too busy, lazy, stubborn or don't want everyone else to think we don't have a clue. The things that make this forum great are the fast responses from the Vectric folks and the willingness of the members to answer questions without being condescending. For those of us who are new at 3D modeling, and especially those of us just working off of the tutorials that come with the demo version, question about new concepts are inevitable. Good luck with Aspire. I hope to be able to order my copy soon. All I need to do is sell 250,000 more sets of pistol grips LOL. Okay, may not THAT many.

Regards,

Joe
Ham and eggs - Inconvenient for the chicken. A total commitment for the pig.
http://www.gripus.com/