Cannot close the project window in Demo version.

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Marwellca
Vectric Craftsman

Cannot close the project window in Demo version.

Post by Marwellca »

I have been trying out the Demo Version of Aspire, and I must say I really like what I see. I have a problem though with closing the project window when I am done with them. For some reason the little black X in the top right hand corner does not close the window, I have to use the "Close" command in the File pulldown menu.

The window will minimize and will also restore but will not close. Any one else have this problem or is it just me? I was going to delete it and then reinstall the Demo version but thought I would ask this question first.

Martyn.

Turtle49
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 4' EZ-Router and Blurry customs SK25

Re: Cannot close the project window in Demo version.

Post by Turtle49 »

I have had the same problem. I wasn't sure if I was doing something wrong.
A work around is to go to "File" => "Close".

Tim
:(
Tim Hornshaw
www.HornshawWoodWorks.com

Burchtree
Vectric Wizard

Post by Burchtree »

That is by design it is working right.
Dan
People go though many trials and tribulations. Some of them actually happened.

Turtle49
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 4' EZ-Router and Blurry customs SK25

Post by Turtle49 »

Burchtree wrote:That is by design it is working right.
Dan
At the risk of sounding dense, how is that by design?
I guess I'm not understanding what the rational behind that would be...... :?:

Tim
Tim Hornshaw
www.HornshawWoodWorks.com

Marwellca
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Marwellca »

Turtle49 wrote:
Burchtree wrote:That is by design it is working right.
Dan
At the risk of sounding dense, how is that by design?
I guess I'm not understanding what the rational behind that would be...... :?:

Tim
I guess I must be dense too! I always understood that the X on the top right corner was to close something.

Martyn.

Burchtree
Vectric Wizard

Post by Burchtree »

Hi
Sorry I had somebody come to the door as I was replying. Because we could have two windows open 2D and 3D we found we could close one window and not get it back. The fix was to turn off the close button. So you could not close a window by mistake.
Dan

Taken from the beta test fotum
The [x] for the views do not work by design. To close the 2d/3d view you need to use file close - you can't close just the 2d or just the 3d view. Unfortunately Microsoft make it extremely difficult to remove the [x] without breaking the normal window handling for tiling etc.

Brian
People go though many trials and tribulations. Some of them actually happened.

Marwellca
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Marwellca »

Okay Brian, I guess that makes sense. Is Vectric working on a fix for that or is that the way it will stay? I guess I am just used to closing the window using the X.

Martyn.

BrianM
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: A few ...

Post by BrianM »

Marwellca wrote:Okay Brian, I guess that makes sense. Is Vectric working on a fix for that or is that the way it will stay? I guess I am just used to closing the window using the X.

Martyn.
Hi Martyn,

I don't plan to put any further effort into this. Low level hacks to remove the [x] button are likely to get broken in future releases of windows. The MDI (Multiple Document Interface) interface was designed by microsoft as one 'document' per window, so closing one window closed the associated document / file. We use MDI for 2 views on the SAME document so I've disabled the [X] because people were suprised when they were trying to close the 3D view on its own (which we dont allow) and the file they were working on closed. Using File - Close ensures that we know that people are really trying to close their file.

Brian

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

When you have both the 2D and 3D views on the screen click on the BOX (MAXIMIZE) option on the view you want to see full screen. To get back to the two views click either on the Page Up or Page Down button.

HoustonFirefox
Vectric Craftsman

Post by HoustonFirefox »

Brian,

As a fellow Windows programmer I can feel your pain about removing some of the included boxes that Windows "throws in". Your solution sounds good enough so I won't expand on it :wink:

However, a nice feature would be the ability to "undock" the 2D and 3D windows from the MDI form and allow them to be moved outside of the Aspire program altogether. To use a silly example to explain this, take Microsoft Flight Simulator and right-click on any of the MDI forms (such as the radio stack). You'll see an "undock this window" option to allow you to move it to another monitor entirely.

In a way, this functionality already exists in VCarve (Aspire?) with the Layer Manager window.

The reason I ask is because I have 6 monitors and it would be nice to have one dedicated to the "tools", 2D on one and the 3D preview on another. I'm working around this now by "spanning" monitors but this can be a challenge on systems running monitors at different resolutions.

Just thought I'd bring this up to get the gears turning on what would be a great feature in the future :D
CNC Woodworkers do it with a 3D Touch Probe!

BrianM
Vectric Staff

Post by BrianM »

HoustonFirefox wrote:The reason I ask is because I have 6 monitors ...
That is very cool, but I have to say that I doubt your configuration is very common for our typical user :-)

Brian

HoustonFirefox
Vectric Craftsman

Post by HoustonFirefox »

hahahaha Yep, but like you, I program for a living and having the extra monitors really helps :D

The feature request still stands since even someone with a "mere" two monitors would be able to benefit. :wink:

Just a thought and thanks Vectric for the excellent products! :D
CNC Woodworkers do it with a 3D Touch Probe!

calgrdnr
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot prt with 4g upgrade

Post by calgrdnr »

Not all have 6 monitors but a few have multi-monitors ( has been voiced in forum) I know if anyone tries multi-monitors for a week or so they wont go back to one. I too would like Houston’s request looked into. And would like Aspire ( and the rest of Vectric SW) to remember last window positions. In this day of computer efficiency, I find it annoying that when I open a program I use daily, to have to reset screen configuration every time I open it. Yes pgup and pgdn short cuts are nice . but still require that each window adjusted to fit properly. I really was hoping this would be upgrade to VCP and was disappointed it was not in Aspire... I of course find all your software to be great . its just the little things that would make things a little better :)

Just had to throw in my 2 cents …..

Quick question when I look at CPU usage while using Aspire trial version ( calculating) task manager only shows 1 processor working 50 % ( yes I am aware that is really 100% of that processor)It is not showing any usage of second processor. Is this related to the trial version ? , Am I reading this wrong ? Do I have to tell vista to enable usage of both ? ( just put Vista on , learning its quirks, hate it so far  ) well guess that’s it.

Sorry I added a few more cents and more then likely no sense 

I was hoping someone else would inquire about this . Thanks again for the great products and support

BrianM
Vectric Staff

Post by BrianM »

calgrdnr wrote:Quick question when I look at CPU usage while using Aspire trial version ( calculating) task manager only shows 1 processor working 50 % ( yes I am aware that is really 100% of that processor)It is not showing any usage of second processor. Is this related to the trial version ? , Am I reading this wrong ? Do I have to tell vista to enable usage of both ? ( just put Vista on , learning its quirks, hate it so far  )
Aspire will use multiple processors automatically when calculating shapes from vectors and updating the 3d view.

It does not currently use multiple processors in many of the core toolpath calculations as these are sequential in nature and usually involve a substantial trade off in memory usage to parallelize which we weren't happy to do at the moment.

Brian

calgrdnr
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot prt with 4g upgrade

Post by calgrdnr »

Thanks Brian , I can now justify 4 core update :)