Distort Object versus node editing vs Explode gadget results

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Distort Object versus node editing vs Explode gadget results

Post by ohiolyons »

There appears to be a difference in editing closed vectors or a glitch in the Distort Selected Objects function.
I was preparing a demo on inserting a letter within an oval.
When I say difference, I mean node editing with shortcuts and the way Explode Vectors gadget leaves resultant vectors.

If you draw an oval and do Explode Vectors gadget you get 4 vectors.
I join the top 2 to form my upper curve and the same for the bottom 2 to form my lower curve for the Distort Selected Object function.
I select the Letter to distort, then the lower and finally upper vectors.
Select the Between Two Curves option of Distort Object and I get a green check mark saying selected vectors are valid. Life is good.
Hit Apply and the letter is insert inside the oval. Yeah!!!!

If you draw an oval and go into Node Editing and do a cut vector on the extreme left and right nodes.
You get an upper and lower vector as I did without having the intermediate joins.
I select the Letter to distort, then the lower and finally the upper vectors.
Select the Between Two Curves option of Distort Object and I get a green check mark saying selected vectors are valid.
Life is good. Hit Apply and error box pops up ”Failed to distort the selected vectors. OK”.
Booooooo! FYI If you separate the upper and lower vectors a smidge, it works just fine.

It seems like on the node editing method if there is something wrong with the vectors in Distort Selected Objects I shouldn’t get the green check mark if they are NOT “OK”.
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard

Re: Distort Object versus node editing vs Explode gadget res

Post by ohiolyons »

WOW i just assumed that the oval cut with node editing had the nodes still touching and they couldn't be touching. Still shouldn't have given me the green check mark OK.

I just made two arcs overlapping on purpose and expecting green check mark OK and then the error message.

To my surprise it distorted the letter into the overlapping arcs!!!!
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Both methods produced identical results for me. Moving the top and bottom curves slightly apart fixed it in both the node editing and explode version. I agree that it seems a bit misleading and if it can be caught at the "green tick" stage it should be.

Not sure why the explode and node edit are giving you different results. How did you join the two sections? I used the common points join tool.

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard

Post by ohiolyons »

I'm not having the problem with the Explode Vectors gadget so the joining method shouldn't be an issue.

The problem occurs in Node editing and cut functions.
Adrian wrote:common points join tool
I am unfamiliar with this option, more info please?

Or are we experiencing a semantics issue?

I see Join Vectors under the EDIT tab.

When I right click the two vectors to join I see Join / Close Vectors.

I used Join Vectors under the EDIT tab
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

It's the same tool just that the description on the right click menu is cut down from what it is on the drawing tab. There are three options under Join/Close Vectors, I used the last one.

I don't think it's as simple as a difference between the two methods of cutting the oval. I just tried it again and it worked perfectly both ways (Node edit and explode) with the distort. I can't get it to go wrong at all now which is a bit frustrating as I was getting the message you saw on both ovals before.

I have upgraded to 10.019 in between so not sure if that is something to do with it.

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard

Post by ohiolyons »

So I must be inadvertently moving one of the vectors when joining and that is why I thought there was an issue between node editing and exploding.

While trying to answer Adrain's response I am now getting the error on both editing methods.

That being said, It shouldn't say the vectors are OK if in fact they aren't. Why aren't they OK?

It is not a matter of vectors being too close, because when I cross them on purpose it still distorts the letter.
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard

Post by ohiolyons »

I discovered it on 10.018 and confirmed it on 10.019.

Glad to see it is behaving oddly for you too. Maybe I didn't move it accidentally.
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

I think it may be related to an issue that came up on another post. http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php? ... 05#p245405

I tried the experiment with the same resulting error message. By just nudging one node just a fraction the issue was resolved.

I sent in a report to Support on the other post and the following is what I received.

Hello John.

This looks to be an edge case from a Floating point calculation error.
In cases like these, it is due to a very exact setup giving an unintended toolpath result.
When these happen nearly any alteration of the design corrects the issue.

In this case, changing the start location alters the calculation order for the design, so it does not hit that same fail point, and likewise, I moved that vector down by 0.0001" and this to was enough to correct the results.
In some cases this can be changed by using a 32Bit CPU or a 64Bit CPU which run the calculations slightly differently.

I'll let development know about it to see if there is any edits they can make to help catch this edge case.

I hope this helps

Best Regards
Charlotte

Vectric Support
John
Maker of Chips

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard

Post by ohiolyons »

The Saga continues.

Gave my demo and someone tried to replicate it on VcarvePro Markerspace version 9.015.

The outcome was a green check mark saying everything is OK and Poooof nothing happened. No distort or no error message.
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard

Post by ohiolyons »

I guess since Vectric hasn't chimed in I'll have to send it to them.
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio