I'm stumped on first 3D model

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
carbidetooth
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre Pro 408

I'm stumped on first 3D model

Post by carbidetooth »

This is a waveguide for a stereo speaker. Two rail sweep works like magic for waveguide itself, but I'm stymied trying to create the 1/4" mounting flange. Seems like I could do a two rail sweep at 1/4" high off base and then raise base to 1" height, thus putting flange where it needs to be at top of waveguide. If only I could plug directly into my mind's eye...

I'll upload a screen shot and can upload file as well, although I've never done that. I've been aware of file size restrictions. Would putting up on Google Drive or someplace be a better plan?

I'm imagining this to be a procedural thing or lack of my understanding how the software wants to be fed. Help greatly appreciated.
Attachments
Screenshot (10).jpg

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: I'm stumped on first 3D model

Post by highpockets »

If you can upload the job file, if it's over 2MB then you'll need to put it in your Google, One Drive or Dropbox and post a share link.

Also a sketch of what your mind has in mind would help. I have no audio experience.
John
Maker of Chips

carbidetooth
Vectric Apprentice

Post by carbidetooth »

Here's a link to file:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gkxQs ... UcpVnQcsVi

And here's a view of what it should look like, although from bottom. To be honest, I don't know how I was able to do this before, this was an early iteration I shared with designer and it's in the wind now. Previous screenshot shows as close as I can get with perimeter flange scaling full height of model, rather than upper 1/4". I feel a little foolish admitting that, but you know the saying about blind squirrels finding nuts...

Edited to add: think of wave guide like a little megaphone. Driver mounts on back and shouts through the "horn".
Attachments
Screenshot (9).jpg

Hermie
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: custom

Post by Hermie »

Is the mounting flange a rabbit around the top edge? If so just select the two outer vectors and pocket to the depth needed, it doesn't have to be a 3d toolpath.

carbidetooth
Vectric Apprentice

Post by carbidetooth »

Hermie wrote:Is the mounting flange a rabbit around the top edge? If so just select the two outer vectors and pocket to the depth needed, it doesn't have to be a 3d toolpath.
Actually it is a flange that would fit into a rabbet on the cabinet.

Perhaps this will clarify. Imagine the highlighted (flange) portion being moved up even with the top of the "horn". This seems like it should be easy, but it's escaping me.
Attachments
Screenshot (11).jpg

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

If it is supposed to be an actual flange then it is an undercut and that is not possible to model in Aspire.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

carbidetooth
Vectric Apprentice

Post by carbidetooth »

TReischl wrote:If it is supposed to be an actual flange then it is an undercut and that is not possible to model in Aspire.
Wow, If that's true I'm bummed...$1300 worth of bummed. Is the focus of Aspire primarily surface relief type carving? Is this a purposeful limitation related to what a 3 axis router could cut? I wonder if I might be able to overcome by modeling upside down and putting base plane between flange and horn? What software would be more suitable to the task? So many questions...

Damn, that is discouraging.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

Is this what you're trying to manufacture?
Attachments
Image 664.png
John
Maker of Chips

carbidetooth
Vectric Apprentice

Post by carbidetooth »

highpockets wrote:Is this what you're trying to manufacture?
Yes John, it is, or something really close to it! You may have saved me from more sulking about my recent purchase! Do tell how you accomplished please.

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

I was thinking something like what John showed.

What Ted said is true, but, that does not need to be a show stopper.

As a manufacturing engineer it is often times that a "widget" cannot be made in one operation or in one machining operation.

Your project may need more that one operation.

first operation may be to machine the inverted cone
second operation may be to flip it over and do the other side to form the flange.

Maybe you need 2 or 3 or 6 operations

It requires some creative thinking - outside the box - so to speak.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Leo is exactly right. Doing that is a two sided job. And that is done all the time.

My reply was in regards to "modeling" only.

If it were me I would cut the underside first, then flip it over in a fixture to cut the waveguide shapes.

IMHO creating a two sided job and then using the preview to present the "model" is not a very effective way to model things like that.

Here is the rub. Software that is designed to model things like that have a very steep learning curve. Usually they are not as efficient in modeling organic items as Aspire. In other words, I have yet to find a package that does it all, is easy to use, and is not expensive. Doubt I ever will.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

Leo and Ted are correct in how it should be manufactured.
I'm on the road all day, if you still need help this afternoon let me know and I'll be glad to help.
John
Maker of Chips

carbidetooth
Vectric Apprentice

Post by carbidetooth »

John, I have the concept in mind, but would still appreciate a brief on how you created what you posted.

I knew this would be a two-sided job going in, and assumed starting that way in 3D would be the way to go. Now it seems like backside, which has more machining than shown, would be better done in 2D, and doing only the horn element with the 3D two rail sweep, which allows me to tweak shape after some sonic testing and measuring results, which I'll leave to someone else. I'll likely cut several prototypes, but ultimately I think the end result would be better made in some sort of molding method...perhaps injection molding? Yet another area which I'm jumping into with little knowledge. Insight there would be appreciated.

The 3D rendering is mostly for eyeball and not necessarily machining. Is it possible to combine 2D and 3D elements in the same visual rendering? I'm feeling my way through the whole thing and am heartened that I've not discovered a dead end, but also feeling my lack of knowledge in several arenas. I'm game to learn it all, though, and certainly appreciate the guidance and patience of y'all.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

Sorry to be so late posting, it's been a long. long travel day.....

After opening you file, first thing I did was add a zero plane
Next I changed the Component 2 Combine Mode to Merge
Next I selected the outer circle of the flange, the outer rail of the horn and the inner cutout area of the horn and copied them to the other side.
On the Bottom side I selected the outer circle and created an offset circle .25" Outward.
Check Material Setup and make sure Model Position in Material is set to 0.0 Gap above Model. I'd recommend changing this to something like .02 for production so you get a nice finished face when machined, but for now I don't want to add anymore math to this. So set it to 0.0 and click OK.
Select the new offset outer circle and the outer rail of the horn vectors. Click on the Pocket Toolpath, set pocket cut depth to z-.2 and press "=" this will set the flange thickness to .2"
I left the end mill as .125" but set the passes to 1 (just for now, you'll want to change this for production). Named it Flange Pocket and pressed Calculate.
Next I selected the center cutout vector of the horn and created a Profile Toolpath with z depth, Machine Vectors set to Inside/Left and set passes to 1. Named it Horn Profile and pressed Calculate
Next I selected the outer vector circle of the flange and created a Profile Toolpath with z depth, Machine Vectors set to Outside/Right and set passes to 1. Named it Cutout and pressed Calculate
Because the Material is 1.5" thick and you want the finished piece to be 1.25" thick you'll need a Pocket Toolpath to trim away .25"

On the Top side I selected the outer vector circle of the flange and the inner cutout area of the horn and created a Finishing Toolpath, left the 1/8" BN set Machine Limit Boundary to Selected Vector(s) and Boundary Offset to .0" and pressed Calculate.
Last I created a Drill Toolpath using an 1/8" EN Cut Depth set to .3" and pressed Calculate.

I'd recommend machining the Top Side first the the Bottom Side, You'll also want to add Reference Pins for when you have to flip the piece over and machine the Bottom Side.

Hope this helps....

I'll ad this this is just one way of many to machine this part and there are lots of tweaks to be made, but this should get you pointed in the right directions.
John
Maker of Chips