Create component from 2-sided toolpaths?

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Create component from 2-sided toolpaths?

Post by 4DThinker »

I'm using Aspire 9.518.
I've created a 2-sided job, and an object using the moulding toolpath on both sides and a profile toolpath to cut the shape out.
There is a model option to Create Component from Toolpath Preview.
I'd like to the export the created component as an .STL file, but these two functions don't appear to pick up the bottom side of my 2-sided job.

My end goal is to 3D print the resulting .STL, but so far I can't find a way to get both sides combined as one component/.STL. Anyone know a workaround for this? If this is simply impossible with Aspire then I'll move on to making the object some other way, but making it is very trivial in Aspire and not-so-easy in any of my other 3D programs.

Thanks for any help from you modelling wizards.
4D

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: Create component from 2-sided toolpaths?

Post by highpockets »

4D,

See if this works for you.
Create one side, use the Create Component from Toolpath Preview to create half the desired component.
Select the component and use Export Model as an STL file.
Check the Close with inverted front option.
Triangulate and save.
Image 539.png
John
Maker of Chips

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

One advantage to upgrade to Version 10

Gary
Attachments
Capture.JPG

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard

Post by 4DThinker »

Thanks HP and GM. I can't quite justify the $400 upgrade price right now, and I've tried every option under the export as .STL box. Right now the component ends up with the shape I cut out plus the surrounding material. Somehow I need to disconnect the outside area from the cutout shape when turning it into a component. I suspect what I want to do can be accomplished in 9.5 but I'll have to puzzle with it a little while longer.

4D

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard

Post by 4DThinker »

Ok, so I used "Clear area of selected component outside selected vectors" to get rid of the material block outside my component. I deleted the backside entirely as when it was there the created component ended up too thick. I edited the shape to bring the bottom plane up so I just had the top half, then baked the result. Now I have component representing 1/2 of my desired shape.

With that selected using Export as and STL, and create with an inverted front, I was able to save the 2-sided .STL just as I wanted it.

Lesson learned: You don't need to start a 2-sided job to end up with a 2-sided .STL shape so long as the back side is a mirror of the top side.

Thanks again!
4D

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Sorry 4D, I would not have suggested the "Close with inverted front" if had known it was a v10 options only. That's what I get for uninstalling 9.5. :oops: :oops:

Glad you came up with a workable solution. Very cleaver work around....
John
Maker of Chips

gregk
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: None

Post by gregk »

Hi All,

Just to clarify, closing with other-side on a two-sided job was introduced in v9.5, not 10.

Greg K