Zero Position When Tiling - Suggested Feature

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
GollyRojer
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8 Pro

Zero Position When Tiling - Suggested Feature

Post by GollyRojer »

I have a suggestion/request to be considered for future updates of Aspire.

I am carving a piece which has two tiles split on Y. The result will be 28" x 40" x 1-1/2", cut out of stock consisting of two pieces 15" x 42" x 2", so there is 1" of scrap on each border. The tiling feature will only allow tiling when zero is at the bottom left corner. While I see no reason that the zero couldn't be at any corner, for this carve I would much rather be able to set it in the middle.

I am doing a very detailed 3D image. The left side of my carve will start on the left side of the 1" of scrap, and in order for the carve to end up exactly at the right edge of the stock, I have to position my bit precisely 15" from that edge, as this is what I have told Aspire. If I set it at the corner and the stock is actually wider by, say, a 32nd, I will be in the position of needing to run that carved edge across my jointer to get it ready to match the right side. What a horrifying thought.

The right side will start on the inner edge, so it won't matter how far it is to the right outside edge. It would be so much better if both sides could start from the inner, mating edges. I could do this by setting zero to the center; but Aspire won't let me. I can understand that it would only work for two tiles, or four tiles in square symmetry, and not for other configurations. I assure you, it is worth the extra code in the software to allow the cut to start on the matching sides rather than across the scrap and hoping for the best.

Yes, yes, I understand that it's up to me to measure correctly. I have never been concerned with this before, because on a single piece, it doesn't matter whether I have 3/4" or 1" or 3" of scrap, because the carve doesn't come right up to any of the sides. In this case, though, the far side is critical, not the zeroed side, and I'm worried about it.