10 Install / Purchase Fail

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
spinningwood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Taig Mill and Self Built Routers

10 Install / Purchase Fail

Post by spinningwood »

Got a message that "Something went wrong" when I was returned from Paypal to the Vectric site. While this was troubling, it turns out that whatever went wrong didn't interfere with the purchase. I was ultimately able to determine that my credit card was charged and I was able to download the software. If you get this error message, don't panic and don't try to purchase again until you verify that the purchase really did fail and you haven't been charged.

Download went well. Nice and fast for all 20 files.

The install had a wheel fall off part way through. The installation terminated part way through with a message "error writing to Readme.txt". Wish I could have just skipped the file and finished the installation, but the installation terminated and continuing was not an option. This can be solved (in my case at least) by adding the vectric installer to the allowed programs in the controlled folder access settings. Hopefully this will help anyone else who is encountering the evil side of controlled folder access in Windows 10.

Won't have a chance to try the new version until Tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

Ed

vip-klaus
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Wabeco F1410 LF-C HS; Sorotec AL1110

Re: 10 Install / Purchase Fail

Post by vip-klaus »

I also got this error message. But all went well and I could download an install the new version without any problems. I als got the confirmation mails which tells me, that I have bought the new version.

AdamJ
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: None

Post by AdamJ »

Hi

Thanks for pointing out the error. Looks like something specific with PayPal and our payment provider but we'll investigate.

That is good advice on the controlled folder access. Hopefully it will save some frustration for a few other people.

Hope you enjoy your new software :)

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

+3 on the Paypal issue.....but confirmations and downloads came through fine in minutes.
Win7 DID let me skip the Readme and continue cleanly:)
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

jarm2
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: C&CNC electronics 4x4 ext aluminum table

Post by jarm2 »

Did the same for me. Loaded okay and I have begun exploring the new capabilities. Looks great.
Aspire 11 ViaCAD Pro 12 Corel 2019 W 10, 2.2 kw spindle wireless pendant

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

spinningwood wrote: The install had a wheel fall off part way through. The installation terminated part way through with a message "error writing to Readme.txt". Wish I could have just skipped the file and finished the installation, but the installation terminated and continuing was not an option. This can be solved (in my case at least) by adding the vectric installer to the allowed programs in the controlled folder access settings. Hopefully this will help anyone else who is encountering the evil side of controlled folder access in Windows 10.

Won't have a chance to try the new version until Tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

Ed
Try right clicking on the installation file and selecting "Run as Administrator". I'm not sure if it will fix it but it can't hurt to try.
Steve

spinningwood
Vectric Wizard

Post by spinningwood »

Hi Steve - Running as administrator won't solve a folder access restriction. You have to explicitly add the application to the access list. If you don't have controlled folder access activated in your Windows 10 security settings you won't have to worry about it. If you suddenly find you can't save files or do lots of other ordinary things after a windows update, you may find that the update turned controlled folder access on. That's how I found out about it!

Ed

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

If you are talking about the hidden protected operating system files and folders, which is on by default, then running as administrator will grant you temporary access.
Steve

spinningwood
Vectric Wizard

Post by spinningwood »

Hi Steve - I'm talking about "Controlled Folder Access", which is part of Windows Defender Exploit Guard in Windows 10. If you have windows 10 and aren't aware of it, google "Controlled Folder Access" and consider whether it might be worth activating on your machine. It can sometimes require you to take extra steps to do previously simple tasks (like upgrading Aspire), but losing files to ransomware or other exploits would be a whole lot worse.

Ed