Model resolution - default settings

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Re: Model resolution - default settings

Post by TReischl »

SteveNelson46 wrote:..........The bottom line is that if you are using a low powered computer you cannot create models at a lower resolution and then increase it later.
You cannot do that if you are using a higher powered computer either. But I think I know what you were getting at. . . .

For most modeling that does not include sculpting the real trick is to keep the vectors used to create the model no matter what the resolution. That way if you need a large scale version of the model later which demands higher rez the vectors can be imported at the new rez and the model recreated. Given the terabytes of storage we all have these days I seen no reason to delete something to "save space". This technique also depends on keeping things organized so that they can be understood later.

And yup, for complex models that is definitely not an optimum solution. I like to think of models the same way I think of pictures, if you have a low rez pic there is no magic way to make it into a high rez pic with more detail. Yes, you can increase the rez, but that does not add detail that was never there in the first place.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

TReischl wrote:... if you have a low rez pic there is no magic way to make it into a high rez pic with more detail. Yes, you can increase the rez, but that does not add detail that was never there in the first place.
OT - Now there actually is. I've been using the Topaz A.I. GigaPixel product for a few months. Machine learning (Artificial Intelligence) makes it possible to add detail to photos that wasn't there! (or at least, makes its best guess at adding missing detail). A pretty amazing product. As far as I know, there is no other software like it yet, but I'm sure the copycats will be along shortly! (I also own their Topaz A.I. Clear and Topaz A.I. DeNoise)

For the curious, here is the link to Topaz A.I. GigaPixel:

https://topazlabs.com/gigapixel-ai/
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

mtylerfl wrote:
TReischl wrote:... if you have a low rez pic there is no magic way to make it into a high rez pic with more detail. Yes, you can increase the rez, but that does not add detail that was never there in the first place.
OT - Now there actually is. I've been using the Topaz A.I. GigaPixel product for a few months. Machine learning (Artificial Intelligence) makes it possible to add detail to photos that wasn't there! (or at least, makes its best guess at adding missing detail). A pretty amazing product. As far as I know, there is no other software like it yet, but I'm sure the copycats will be along shortly! (I also own their Topaz A.I. Clear and Topaz A.I. DeNoise)

For the curious, here is the link to Topaz A.I. GigaPixel:

https://topazlabs.com/gigapixel-ai/
Correct, "best guess".

I dunno about you Michael, but it is my opinion that the term "artificial intelligence" is way, way overused these days. It is now used to describe things that actually run on complicated fixed algorithms. It is easy to prove if a program is actually "learning" or not. First off it would alter its code after each use, if it does not, then it has not "learned" anything. Adding to a database is not learning it is gathering information. Second, if it learns then each time it is run against the same data it will return a slightly different result because it is learning. Human intelligence does two things, first it gathers information and stores it, second our intelligence alters the way we work on information from past experience. In other words if something is intelligent as we understand intelligence, it evolves. To me the term just seems to be latest buzzword that the marketing folks have picked up. This could develop into a very interesting discussion!

I suppose under this definition one could say that Vectric Aspire is "artificial intelligence":

"the theory and development of computer systems able to perform tasks that normally require human intelligence, such as visual perception, speech recognition, decision-making, and translation between languages."
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns