zero bed or zero surface

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
dhagen1999
Model of CNC Machine: nextwave shark

zero bed or zero surface

Post by dhagen1999 »

When I have a simple round pocket quarter inch deep and render it, the whether zeroing at the surface of the material or the zero using the machine bed the final cut looks the same. However, when I am carving a large eagle model, when I zero on the bed it is a much deeper cut then when I zero off the surface of the material. I thought whether I zero off the surface or the bed it should not change the resulting model. It looks like I will have to raise the my 3d models in the material for it to look the same as if I had zeroed off the material surface.

Is this normal? Do 3D models cut differently whether I zero off the surface or the bed?
I attached two images of the model, the ONLY difference is one zeroed off the material surface and one zeroed off the bed. There is obviously a different cut depth between them.
Attachments
zero bed.jpg
zero surface.jpg

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: zero bed or zero surface

Post by highpockets »

Models cut based on the Material Setup, Model Position in Material.
John
Maker of Chips

scubanimal
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Stinger1 24, Shark HD2 Pro, Aspire,

Post by scubanimal »

It sure looks like the Material setup does not match. I'm sure you know, but just in case you had an oops moment, you do have to change the material setup panel for that reference point, and then recalculate, then save off the new tools paths. and use those toolpaths with the appropriate reference point. I know this is likely obvious, but I certainly have made an oops, and I can't be the only one.....
:)

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Mr John is exactly right.

If you load a model with the zero set to the top surface, and then change it later you have to change the Material Setup.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns