Newbie Question

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
dschmid4
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Panther

Newbie Question

Post by dschmid4 »

OK, I watched the training videos but cannot figure out how to model this simple shape in prep for unwrapping and rotary toolpath.
I can model either the square section or the conical (tapered) section, but cant get the interface. Not seeing boolean operations to cut or join. The Aspire video example of the spindles does have both square and round cross sections but they do not intersect.

Any tips on the correct approach? BTW, this is easily modeled in other software but Vectric does not manage the import/unwrapping very well.

Dan
Attachments
Fusion2.jpg

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: Newbie Question

Post by highpockets »

John
Maker of Chips

dschmid4

Post by dschmid4 »

Yes, as I said I watched that video. That tutorial does not combine the square and round (it does not deal with the intersection)

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Post by dealguy11 »

I think you can get this shape by the following. Don't have time to draw it right now:

1. Model the square and round components. Make the square component long enough so it touches the round.
2. Model a cone (just an angled sweep when unwrapped), where the top of the sweep is the same height as the corners of the square, and the bottom is the same height as the round. Position it so the low end is adjacent to the round section.
3. Set the combine modes of the square component and the cone to "Low"
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

Personally I would never model that piece. It would be best cut 4 sided to get the square and then use the molding toolpath to cut the taper and tenon.

In reality I would use the fluting toolpath and a couple hand added rotary positions to cut it faster and cleaner.

Never use a model to mfgr a part that could be made using non electric tools! :wink:
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

dschmid4

Post by dschmid4 »

Agreed. I'm not actually making this part but I'm teaching myself Aspire modeling. It is such a simple part, and I learn by watching the vids and trying to model variations. If I can't model this part I should hang it all up and go back to my hand planes.... :lol:

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

Without the dimensions of your image example I've just laid out and done this example to show you one way to accomplish it. Two Moulding toolpaths, one to cut flat areas within a 3"d x 20" starting cylinder, and the second to taper the top end and reduce to a smaller cylinder. The bottom area was a simple pocket.
Practice Example 4D.jpg
I did a little drafting to calculate how wide and deep of an arc would be needed to make a square from a cylinder. Those vectors are in the file. The tapered end vectors are also in the file.

4D
Attachments
PracticeExample4D.crv3d
(351.5 KiB) Downloaded 81 times