Upgrade problem

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Olle
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna MCNCIQ

Upgrade problem

Post by Olle »

Trying to upgrade from 9.008 to the current version, but I'm getting an error message saying that the installer "can't delete target file". I searched for this problem and found 2 possible solutions:

1: Disable virus scan (didn't work)
2: Delete the Aspire folder and reinstall.

If I delete the Aspire folder, do I need to salvage any files (like tools and such), or should I uninstall instead? I will readily admit that this is a scary proposition to a computer dummy like me. In previous threads it has been mentioned that it's Windows (in my case Win 7 Pro) stopping this process, so is it possible to change the Windows settings to allow the upgrade?

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Re: Upgrade problem

Post by IslaWW »

Any chance Aspire is still running? Cant delete file when the program is loaded.
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

Olle
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Olle »

No, it will give you a warning if it's running, telling you to close it.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Have you tried rebooting and then running the installer on it's own? The reboot would release whatever has the lock on the file.

gregk
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: None

Post by gregk »

Aspire can't be running during updating. That said, if you want to get to the latest version (9.517) then you will need to follow a bit different process.
The update option in the software allows you to update to a given version of the release. For instance, from version 9.008 you can only update to 9.015.
Since then version 9.5 was released, which requires you to download a new installer and install it. So can install a new version alongside the old one.
When the new version is running, you will have an option to migrate your data from the old version. Once you migrate successfully you can verify if you have everything that you need and then uninstall old version.

You can get new installer from the portal (https://portal.vectric.com)

Greg K

Olle
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Olle »

gregk wrote:Aspire can't be running during updating. That said, if you want to get to the latest version (9.517) then you will need to follow a bit different process.
The update option in the software allows you to update to a given version of the release. For instance, from version 9.008 you can only update to 9.015.
Since then version 9.5 was released, which requires you to download a new installer and install it. So can install a new version alongside the old one.
When the new version is running, you will have an option to migrate your data from the old version. Once you migrate successfully you can verify if you have everything that you need and then uninstall old version.

You can get new installer from the portal (https://portal.vectric.com)

Greg K
I went to the web site, but the only download I could find is $400. Do I have to pay to upgrade? And when I click on the paid upgrade, it takes me to a page that says "All your products are up to date. You are not eligible for any upgrades at this time"?

gregk
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: None

Post by gregk »

Could you contact our support team - support@vectric.com ? They should be able to check which version you are eligible and if there is problem with portal they should be able to provide you with assistance.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

Greg K

Olle
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Olle »

gregk wrote:Could you contact our support team - support@vectric.com ? They should be able to check which version you are eligible and if there is problem with portal they should be able to provide you with assistance.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

Greg K
Ok, will do.

Olle
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Olle »

Well, seems like the problem was that I couldn't find the correct file. Once support directed me to the right place I was able to install without any hiccups at all. Thanks for the replies!