Post processor question

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
GeneMpls
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: PRS Buddy48alpha ,4x6' 130w laser, Wazer

Post processor question

Post by GeneMpls »

I have a Shopbot [mostly because of their excellent forum] and use the PP for that with no problem. I am setting up a Wazer waterjet cutter and I am quite impressed with the build quality of the machine, that said- their online software [WAM] is really unimpressive, and I have spoken to them with my impressions and they replied that they are hardware guys and know the software is... soft. I think they are trying to reinvent the wheel without having seen a wheel. I mentioned that they might want to produce a Post Processor that could be used with something like Aspire. What is involved in making a PP for a machine? It uses g-code [my renter/machinist thinks it is FANUC]. If it is not obvious, I know little of g-code and PPs. Thanks Gene

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Re: Post processor question

Post by ger21 »

There are generic g-code posts already included with Aspire, which you could modify.
It's really quite simple, if you know what you want it to do. And Aspire comes with a very good post processor manual.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

There could be one issue. For a number of years ShopBot distributed "their own" version of VCarve Pro. This version will only be compatible with ShopBot post processors, in other words, it was designed to output to machines ONLY with ShopBot controllers.

So, if you have a "PartWorks" or "VCarve for ShopBot" and you wish to use a laser, 3D printer or any other type of CNC machine that does not run on a ShopBot controller (most of them) you will need to purchase an upgrade to the "full version" of VCarve Pro.

Aspire, of course, is not affected.
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

GeneMpls
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: PRS Buddy48alpha ,4x6' 130w laser, Wazer

Post by GeneMpls »

I do have Aspire, Gary. Thanks Gene. I have been in email contact with them and they don't seem to have considered developing a PP. Yet.