Possible new capabillity in Aspire

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
DLWOODWORKS
Vectric Apprentice

Possible new capabillity in Aspire

Post by DLWOODWORKS »

I do a lot of sheet processing. And with that comes a lot of nesting. Current nesting allows only one sheet size to be used. Would it be possible to add the capability of using partial sheets in the nesting process? For example, I have a full sheet of 1/2" MDF and two sheets that are 21" wide x 97" long. Instead of Aspire defaulting to just full size sheets, it would be very convenient to be able to add the two 21" wide sheets to the list that Aspire would use to nest parts on. This would enable me to create one job and nest on multiple sheets of differing sizes. My cabinet software enables this function by adding sheets. It uses the added sheets prior to using new sheets.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Possible new capabillity in Aspire

Post by Adrian »

I raised that as request during beta testing for the previous version. Hopefully it is something that can be added at some point but from what I remember the nesting is a 3rd party module so I don't know how much control they have over it.

At the moment I make use of the vector boundary option maintaining a set of files that equates to each partial sheet so I can load them in as necessary.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Cranking up the "way back" machine. . . . :::clunk:::bang:::hiss::::

I used NestLib when I was writing this stuff. It was not that the module needs the capability but rather the software feeding it. One of the things I wrote was the ability to capture "offall" so those pieces could be stored for subsequent retrieval. It worked but in reality?

It is like anything else, someone has to maintain what is in the "offall" database. What I wrote would remove a piece of "offall" if it was used in a job. But then out on the shop floor: "Oh, just grab a piece of stuff from over there and we will bang this together!" Of course this caused major headaches over in the Head Shed. The only way this stuff works is by having discipline or the willingness to constantly keep track of it.

What I found eventually worked best for customers was define some common offcut sheet sizes. 4X4, 5X5, 2X4, 2X2 etc. When a person finished running a job that did not use a whole sheet they would cut off the remainder to a known size and store it on the shelf.

The NestLib was capable of working with an "offall" sheet that had holes and shapes cut in it. It was up to the main software to feed that information. Can you imagine what a nightmare that is? "Hey, go get the piece with big hole in it and 5 small rectangles cut out!"

Some things sound better than they actually work out. Of course I liked my solution, but there are those who still snivel to this day "It wastes material because I could get two more inches." Pretty soon they would have a whole shop full of "saved pieces". Sort of like some of our workshops. :D
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

DLWOODWORKS
Vectric Apprentice

Post by DLWOODWORKS »

TReischl wrote:Cranking up the "way back" machine. . . . :::clunk:::bang:::hiss::::

I used NestLib when I was writing this stuff. It was not that the module needs the capability but rather the software feeding it. One of the things I wrote was the ability to capture "offall" so those pieces could be stored for subsequent retrieval. It worked but in reality?

It is like anything else, someone has to maintain what is in the "offall" database. What I wrote would remove a piece of "offall" if it was used in a job. But then out on the shop floor: "Oh, just grab a piece of stuff from over there and we will bang this together!" Of course this caused major headaches over in the Head Shed. The only way this stuff works is by having discipline or the willingness to constantly keep track of it.

What I found eventually worked best for customers was define some common offcut sheet sizes. 4X4, 5X5, 2X4, 2X2 etc. When a person finished running a job that did not use a whole sheet they would cut off the remainder to a known size and store it on the shelf.

The NestLib was capable of working with an "offall" sheet that had holes and shapes cut in it. It was up to the main software to feed that information. Can you imagine what a nightmare that is? "Hey, go get the piece with big hole in it and 5 small rectangles cut out!"

Some things sound better than they actually work out. Of course I liked my solution, but there are those who still snivel to this day "It wastes material because I could get two more inches." Pretty soon they would have a whole shop full of "saved pieces". Sort of like some of our workshops. :D
I guess I've gotten spoiled with eCabinets from Thermwood. The nesting software keeps track of all the offall and prints a barcode label for the offall. When it's time to run a new job, I add the sheets (as you described in your message about the one with the big hole and 5 small cut outs - eCabinets tracks these for me) using the barcode scanner and eCabs automatically starts nesting the parts on the offall before resorting to a whole sheet. This cuts my waste to a very low level which helps save money for customers because I can reduce the amount of whole sheets I need by using offall from the previous project. With plywood prices gong thru the roof, every little bit helps for customers. I guess being a one man shop it's a lot easier not just grabbing an offall from the floor. I can be much more disciplined about it.

WNC_Ed
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4 AXYZ 4010

Post by WNC_Ed »

I learned a new word today offal
Which is crazy that I have never heard the word before since I am actually in the business of "offal".
I Love this forum!
Maker of sawdust

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

Yup, DL, it can work, no doubt about it.

The real question for Vectric is how will it mesh with their user base? Only Vectric can answer that one.

BTW, the licensing fee for nesting engines is not a mere pittance. The one we purchased was over 100K in 1995. That just gets the company the license, then someone has to develop all the front end software that uses the engine. Then training staff on how it works, creating tutorials, etc. It gets pricey real fast, all those folks have to be paid.

I took a look at the eCabinets stuff, looks great. Obviously Thermwood uses it to add value to their equipment.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

WNC_Ed wrote:I learned a new word today offal
Which is crazy that I have never heard the word before since I am actually in the business of "offal".
I Love this forum!
Well, it really should be "off fall" but no one says it that way. It is very common in sheet metal shops, especially ones running turret presses.

DLWOODWORKS
Vectric Apprentice

Post by DLWOODWORKS »

TReischl wrote:
WNC_Ed wrote:I learned a new word today offal
I Love this forum!
Well, it really should be "off fall" but no one says it that way. It is very common in sheet metal shops, especially ones running turret presses.
Very common in wood shops that work a lot of plywood. 90% of my work is cabinetry (aka plywood - hundred's and hundred's of sheets a year). Any offal I can use and have the computer keep track of it, the better it is for the customer, the waste pile and me.