Downgrading

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Ken Rychlik
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Buy, fix, and sell them

Downgrading

Post by Ken Rychlik »

So I'm wierd I guess. I have aspire 8.5. They won't let me sell it, they won't let me trade it, they won't let me downgrade to vcarve or anything else. I really don't want to spend 400 for updates just to get a few tools. I cut cabinet boxes for the most part and only use 2d cutting.

I am considering Cut2d pro just to get the newer version of the simple stuff. Without Vcarving or any 3d stuff, is there anything in the normal 2d part of the program that I would be missing by doing this? I do toolpath templates, gadgets for importing vectors, and some manual 2d drawing.

It's 450 to buy, but upgrading won't be 400 each time.

Am I crazy?
Custom CNC Work
Local Machine Repairs and Programming

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Re: Downgrading

Post by garylmast »

Am I crazy?

The Aspire 8.5 will do anything the Cut2d plus more. I'm still using Aspire 3.5 for use with my Plasma cutter. With my first CNC machine many years ago, I purchased Cut3D, which I haven't use since Aspire came out...no need. Just because Aspire 8.5 had an upgrade, doesn't mean it still can't be used for the same thing.

I won't call the decision crazy, but I wouldn't say it would be a wise choice.

Gary

Jim_in_PA
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger II SR-44 (MacOS user)

Post by Jim_in_PA »

I agree with the "just use what you have" suggestion. You don't get much of anything by buying the "lesser" program that you don't already have, for the most part, particularly for what you use your CNC for by your own description. Farther into the future, you can make a decision to upgrade or take some other option.

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

It's 450 to buy, but upgrading won't be 400 each time.

Am I crazy?
Yes, buying Cut2D Pro would be crazy. :D

Your $450 would be better spent on an Aspire Upgrade, as you'll get more features for your money. If you want to get even more, wait until the next version comes out, then upgrade.

As for future upgrades, nobody's forcing you to pay the $450 every year. If new features are added that you feel are worth it, then go for it. If not, don't.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

Wayne Locke
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot

Post by Wayne Locke »

I thought that you could transfer your Aspire license for a small fee.

ger21
Vectric Wizard

Post by ger21 »

I thought that you could transfer your Aspire license for a small fee.
Depends on how you acquired it. If it came with a machine, you can't transfer it.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Wayne Locke wrote:I thought that you could transfer your Aspire license for a small fee.
http://support.vectric.com/aspire-quest ... fer-policy

Ken Rychlik
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Ken Rychlik »

They actually changed the rules after I bought mine, or officially posted the rules. Anyway, I like some of the new snap options on the 2d drawing side, and the full program seems to eat up a lot of computer. I run wincnc and design the next parts at the same time I'm cutting so a simpler program should use less pc recources as well. I know I can upgrade the ram and I did that.
Custom CNC Work

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Aspire is a very light program as far as resources go compared to many unless you're running a very outdated PC. Given that Cut2D and VCarve are built on the same code base if you're having resource problems with Aspire you may well get them with the others as well.

eph210
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Stinger 1 and Mabel, both with 4 axis

Post by eph210 »

I design with Aspire and run WinCNC on the same computer every day. I usually have multiple sessions of Aspire open.
Check how much RAM is on your computer, adding another 8Gb helped my setup.

Euan

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

As Adrian has said Aspire is quite light on resources especially if you are just drawing vectors, e 3D modeling side is heavier but that's not what you are doing. How old is your computer & what sort of specs does it have? also are you running a 32bit or 64 bit operating system? If your running 32 bit then adding more ram won't do any good as a 32 bit system can only access 4 gig, anything over that is just a waste as it is never used.
The other thing is that there are lots of background tasks that windows carries out that can use a lot of computer resources, it may well be some of these that are hogging the computer :lol: :lol:

As for your initial question then only you can really decide what works best for you, personally I use what software works best for me, some of it is old & never gets updated because it still does everything I need it to & the updates have not really benefited me at all. Some of the software has now moved on a few versions & with those companies upgrade policies I would get nothing for my old version & be expected to pay the full price for the latest version :lol:

You could always download the trial versions & have a play about yourself to see if changing the software would be your best option :lol: :lol:

Jim_in_PA
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger II SR-44 (MacOS user)

Post by Jim_in_PA »

eph210 wrote:I design with Aspire and run WinCNC on the same computer every day. I usually have multiple sessions of Aspire open.
Check how much RAM is on your computer, adding another 8Gb helped my setup.

Euan
Same here....I'm constantly fiddling on the WinCNC machine in my shop while something is running and I also have multiple Aspire windows open in most cases. That machine only has 4GB of ram, too. No issues.

Ken Rychlik
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Ken Rychlik »

I kind of want the new snap options on the latest version, but really don't want to upgrade aspire. If I get the cut2d pro for about the same cost as the aspire update, then next time updating cut2d is much less. The machines make me money and it's not a great deal of money in the scope of things. I do have some files that take a while for the toolpathing to process. I was thinking a program with a lighter footprint may be a good thing. I am on 64bit system and 8 gigs of ram. No issues so far, but I don't want any either. I offered to give up my aspire license and pay for the Vcarve update and they shot that down also. I'm frustrated they would't let me trade. I had someone willing to pay the updates and transfer fees and they said no.
Custom CNC Work

Mark
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark, ShopBot, Roland PNC3000

Post by Mark »

Hello Ken,
They actually changed the rules after I bought mine
The transfer rules have not changed and were not changed after your license was transferred to you.

For software that is not supplied with a CNC machine tool, we have only ever allowed the original purchaser of the license,
to transfer the software.
As you were not the original purchaser of the license, but the license was transferred to you.
I am afraid that you are not allowed to subsequently transfer the license.

http://support.vectric.com/aspire-quest ... fer-policy

Mark.

ger21
Vectric Wizard

Post by ger21 »

The machines make me money and it's not a great deal of money in the scope of things
Then it makes even less sense to pay more money for fewer features. That's what buying Cut2D Pro does.
I do have some files that take a while for the toolpathing to process. I was thinking a program with a lighter footprint may be a good thing.
There shouldn't be any difference in speed between Cut2D and Aspire. They both use identical code.