Reading Forum with Edge vs. Chrome

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Reading Forum with Edge vs. Chrome

Post by garylmast »

I noticed when I was last posting using Edge, when I went back to preview, half the paragraph was missing. When using Chrome, different story, everything was there. I was just reading one of the latest posts under Edge, which had the same problem, half the paragraph was missing.

Conclusion: Everything about Windows 10 and Edge sucks.

Some of my software won't work under Windows 10, so I have to keep my old computer with Windows 7 running to work those programs. JUST VENTING!

Gary

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Reading Forum with Edge vs. Chrome

Post by Adrian »

I've never had an issue with Windows 10 itself (got it on seven computers of my own and probably over a dozen more I've installed for family and friends) with anything and I love many of it's features. Edge is terrible though (not all because of Microsoft) and Microsoft know it which is why they're building a new one (just gone into testing) based on the Chromium engine.

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

I don't use it alot because I have to use it on my slow desktop, I have Autodesk 2013 Suite. Inventor Fusion doesn't work in Windows 10, only in Windows 7. CorelDraw x5, the menu don't appear where it does in Windows 7. I have to use my Window 7 when using NetFabb because all the functions in that don't work under Windows 10. Luckily Aspire works good in Windows 10, but it sucks when I have to switch files between computers. I think Microsoft needs to do a little more work for improvement besides what they plan on doing with Edge. Although I have a lot more frustrations, I'll quit belly-aching now.

If you're reading something on this forum and it appears they didn't finish their sentence, switch to Chrome.

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

Any software I've installed in Windows 10 has worked just fine, some over 10 years old? I wouldn't want to use an older version of Windows after using Windows 10, which is better in many ways.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Pretty much the same as Adrian & ger21 for me, running windows 10 on a few machines & with some pretty old software on some & not had any real problems, think I had to instal a couple of programs using the install as an administrator option & one I had a slight problem sorting out which compatibility mode it ran best in but nothing major :lol: :lol: :lol:

I did get quite frustrated early on because each windows 10 upgrade would cause one of my programs to de-activate which meant I had to get it re activated after every update but that hasn't happened for a long time now :lol: :lol:

Oh almost forgot, as for browsers I use chrome & have done for a long time despite Microsoft keep giving me messages that edge is better & faster :lol: :lol:

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

garylmast wrote:....
Conclusion: Everything about Windows 10 and Edge sucks.

Some of my software won't work under Windows 10, so I have to keep my old computer with Windows 7 running to work those programs.

Gary
No, not "everything".

If a program does not work with Win10 then you either need to update it or find a new program. There has never been a guarantee that applications will run on versions of Windows that have not been invented yet. I am amazed that programs I developed commercially under Windows 98 still install and run on Win7. They don't install on Win10. That is because I need to update them with Visual Studio. That is on me, not Microsoft.

IMHO Microsoft has done a pretty darn good job of supporting older applications in their updates. I see no point in bad mouthing them because Win 10 won't run software I wrote 25 years ago.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

If a program does not work with Win10 then you either need to update it or find a new program.

Maybe you're right, I ought to scrap my Autodesk 2013 Suite (6-year old) and reinvest $8,000 for a new version, and several thousand more more the other software which is two or three years old. After all, it's only money. I guess my 'Bitching' didn't sit right with a few individuals...if only I could of read the whole paragraph when I was reading a post on this forum I could of kept some frustration at a minimum. :oops: :oops: :oops:

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

Hmmmm. . .

Software upgrades have always been a mess.

Folks want to upgrade to the newest operating system but are not willing to upgrade their old software to run on that new operating system.

Then there is the group who demand that developers upgrade their software to run on the newest operating system to take advantage of the new features in the op system. Of course when they do that anyone with an older op system is just SOL.

I have no clue what you all do with your current software, but maybe it is time you looked into "scrapping" it as you say. Honestly, if I were not retired, and I had to have design software capable of 3D I would probably be signing up for a subscription to something like other software and not have to worry about it running on the latest and greatest. BTW, since I am retired I can use other software for free but I am too lazy to make the change over.

BTW, I do agree with you about Edge, not my cup of tea by a long shot. Now, my wife really likes it for some reason :::shrug:::

ger21
Vectric Wizard

Post by ger21 »

I guess my 'Bitching' didn't sit right with a few individuals.
No, it's just that most people don't see the issues that you are seeing.
Anytime I see someone say Windows Sucks, then I tend to think they are at fault to some extent. Sorry.

You mentioned using it on a slow PC? Perhaps that's where the problem lies?

I'm running both AutoCAD 2007 and AutoCAD 2013 on Windows 10 with no issues at all.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Not knowing what "Inventor Fusion" was I did a search for it. From AutodDesk's support pages they said that it was discontinued and wouldn't open in Windows 10 nor would they be updating it to run in Windows 10.

Now, that's their official cover-themselves position. But it seems to me that Windows 10 has the ability to run programs in "compatibility mode" by emulating certain aspects of, in this case, Windows 7. I wonder if "Inventor Fusion" can actually run in Windows 10 via said compatibility mode?

Microsoft is inordinately good at ensuring programs from previous versions of Windows will run in their current version. If think Windows 7 (or was it Vista? certainly XP) could still run programs made for Windows 3.1 (i.e. written before 1995). I've had far too many programs at home on my Mac and my iPad become unusable overnight because of an OS update.

Steven

Mobius
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CRP Pro 4848 Custom Build

Post by Mobius »

An here I thought the only thing Edge was for, was to download Chrome or Firefox..... :D :D
Connor Bredin
Distinctive Dimensional Concepts Ltd.
www.distinctive-concepts.ca

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

Mobius wrote:An here I thought the only thing Edge was for, was to download Chrome or Firefox..... :D :D
OK, that did it!!!

You have won the internet.

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

My personal choice is Firefox. Like any software, it has its issues but most are easily overcome. Especially once the "About:config" pages are understood. Edge? Well, lets just say it really needs improvement. Chrome? It's good but missing a few features like associating a program with extensions so downloads will open without having to save them first. When I worked at the University of Arizona they were very lenient about allowing just about any operating system or program so we had to support them all and I've heard pretty much all of the "justifications" for using one or the other. It really comes down to just personal preference and learning how to use the program of your choice.
Steve

jfederer
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CanCam D23M

Post by jfederer »

Having spent most of my adult life in IT in some way or other, I've used all the common browsers. And OSs. My Mac gets turned on for Lightroom and nothing else, and I'll never buy another Mac. My Ubuntu machines go months turned off and neglected. Windows 10, on the other hand, gives me everything I need with few problems. Under Windows, I use Chrome for Google-related things, IE and Edge for Microsoft-related things, and FireFox for everything else.

In my opinion, Gary made a classic logic error in saying "Conclusion: Everything about Windows 10 and Edge sucks." Edge is problematic in so many ways, and Microsoft knows it. That's why they are rebuilding it on Chromium, the core of Chrome. Chrome, on the other hand, is very tied to Google and I have strong reasons to suspect harvesting of my data beyond what I find reasonable. So FireFox it is.
Joe Federer

www.fabrikisto.com incl. Tailmaker software
www.federer.ca

ger21
Vectric Wizard

Post by ger21 »

+2 for Firefox.
I only use Edge for the rare website that doesn't work properly in Firefox.
I use Firefox on phone as well. For the rare things that don't work there (Usually Google related), I'll temporarily use Chrome.