zoom percentage

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
Aussie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Robotics Model 8

zoom percentage

Post by Aussie »

Hi All,

Is there a percentage indicator when zooming in 3D display...... when do I know I am at 100%

Thanks
Ron
Ron
Crafers Crafts

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Re: zoom percentage

Post by FixitMike »

No way to tell. Your computer doesn't know how large your screen is. It could be any where from 9" high to 9' (or more) high. Programs that show a percentage zoom use their default as 100%, but that can be most any size.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Closest would be using the F or F6 key to fit the material to the screen or, selecting the components and using the Ctrl-F combination to fit the screen to the selection. Works in 2D and 3D.

Aussie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Robotics Model 8

Post by Aussie »

Really ???
I can zoom whatever percentage I need with photoshop irrespective of my screen size, just thought it would be nice to see the actual job size in the 3D view at 100% to review the cut quality.
Ron
Crafers Crafts

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

So, at 100% on a laptop monitor the image is maybe 8 inches tall.

On a large monitor, 55 inches, it would be ohhh, about 40 inches tall. Or does the 55 inch monitor show it at 8 inches tall?

Talked to my nephew about this, he is a big photo kind of guy. He was saying something about he can setup his ridiculously expensive monitor so that it reflects ACTUAL size of a photo, not a percentage. He paid a bit more than 5K for it about a year ago. I don't think he even lets his wife look at it, LOL.

Percentages mean nothing. A percentage is always the result of some other number.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

Really ???
I can zoom whatever percentage I need with photoshop irrespective of my screen size
Not exactly.
100% in Photoshop means 1 pixel in the image = 1 pixel on your monitor.
I just checked, and an 8x10 image in Photoshop, set at 72 pixels/inch, displays at roughly 5x7 inches at 100% on my monitor.

So 100% in Photoshop is not necessarily actual size, unless you adjust the pixels/inch of the image to match the actual pixel size of your monitor.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Aussie wrote:Really ???
I can zoom whatever percentage I need with photoshop irrespective of my screen size, just thought it would be nice to see the actual job size in the 3D view at 100% to review the cut quality.
Lot of other factors will determine the cut quality in the view other than the size of the zoom. The most important for the toolpath preview would be the preview resolution selected and the size of the job in relation to the material. Both can have a massive impact on what you see in the preview so you wouldn't see the cut quality at 100% zoom anyway.

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

Hello,

From my point of view, display at 100% has very few interest in 3D. The only interest I see is having an idea of the actual size of the part. Sometimes useful as dimensions are not displayed in 3D.

When manufacturing parts up to 5m long, I never found the right monitor to get a 100% display.

Rhinoceros has a function to calibrate the display size. We found it very interesting and did calibrate the zoom. In fact, we never used it in years.

stephenr
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot PRS Standard 48x96

Post by stephenr »

Could this inquiry turn into a feature request? For example, when you first set up your working area, in inches or millimeters, you and the software both know exactly what size the defined model will be. But when you zoom in, the computer still knows what it is showing, but the user looses track of the relative scale. No need to have a percentage shown that means something different to each different computer and screen configuration. Why not have an option to apply a visual grid of points or lines definable by the user at whichever spacing deemed applicable to the model on the screen? This type of visual reference could be shown and hidden with a shortcut key. Just a temporary visual type of guide.

Stephen R.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Grid display of points/dots already exists (and you can customize their spacing to whatever you want). Plus, there are both vertical and horizontal rulers as a handy reference. Plus, you can drag out reference lines from the rulers and snap in place for visual reference, as well.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Will Williamson
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Thermwood CS-45 5 x 10

Post by Will Williamson »

If I have a need, to have a photo Import, at 100 percent, actual size.
I always import, as bmp. this way it imports on to my material at actual size.
This becomes an issue when you scan a photo to import.
other wise when you import a jpg, file it seams to snap to size.
Maybe some one else, can explain it better.
Will Williamson willmade.com
Williamson Lumber & Millwork Inc.
Capac, Michigan

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

When manufacturing parts up to 5m long, I never found the right monitor to get a 100% display.

I can second the monitor problem, just wish I was only producing stuff up to 5 metres in length :lol: :lol:

Most of what I do is way to big to be able to fit on a monitor at actual size, been working as a signmaker for nearly 20 years & have never seen this as an issue or wished that I could view at actual size :lol: :lol: