Depth of V carve letters

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
apopj
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3 XXL

Depth of V carve letters

Post by apopj »

Hello all,

I am attempting to make some small signs, 3 1/2" diameter. If I use the 60' Vee bit, the letters are too small and the bit chops the letters apart. How do I make the bit cut to a shallower depth? Do I have to go to a small bit, like a 1/8" engraving bit (even though I am not engraving the letters)? How do you get very small letters into the V carve process???? Thanks so much for the help...

Jeff :?:

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Depth of V carve letters

Post by Adrian »

To get a shallower depth you need a less acute angle tool like a 90 degree bit. It won't drop so far between the "rail" vectors and thus lead to a shallower depth.

You could also specify a flat depth but that might not be the look you're going for.

You could also try using the single line fonts and then using the v-bit with a profile cut on the vector.

Lots of options but really small letters are prone to chipping it out on bit like the centre of an A in a lot of different types of wood with a v-carve toolpath. You need a really sharp bit and the correct feed rates.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

The bit depth is determined by the distance between the vectors.

So, if you want to go shallower use a bit with a wider angle, like 90 degrees.

But you said the letters were being chopped apart? That usually happens when they are too close to each other. About the only thing I can recommend is to move the letters further apart or try really slowing up.

It would help if you told us what font and what size the letters are. And a pic always helps.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Also, what material are you carving? Sign foam? Cedar? Flat-sawn oak? The material can make a difference as well.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Just to add to what has already been said with small text you need to slow things down especially on a machine like yours which isn't that ridged. I have a folder I added to the tool database especially for carving text here the v bit settings are very different to the normal settings I use, not just slower speed & feed rate but a shallower DOC as well.
It can also help to use something like a sanding sealer o treat the material surface before you start carving, this can help to prevent chipping of letters & the loss of parts of the letters :lol: :lol: