Problems with a large 3D relief carving

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
jssussex@gmail.com
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick 3X5

Re: PROBLEMS WITH A LARGE 3D RELIEF CARVING

Post by jssussex@gmail.com »

Rcnewcomb
I'm following your recommendations and re creating the whole project. It worth the effort to remove any possible variables. You responded to my PM but now it appears I can't read PM's
Capture.PNG
so I'll ask you to copy your reply here too.

Your Recommendations:
1. fix the machine issues
in process
2. clean up the vectors -
Yup part of the rebuild of the models.
3. re-create the 3D components using a higher modeling resolution setting. Sometimes it helps to create the individual components in separate files at very high resolution, and then import them into the current project.
I now know how to increase the resolution and will save each component as it's own .3dclip and .crv3d and then create the new model these individual components.
4. Adding a draft angle to components will help them machine better vs vertical walls.
This is what I don't know how to do

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: Problems with a large 3D relief carving

Post by mtylerfl »

The software manual explains Draft and how it is applied. A quick look-up will help you (it’s easy).
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

jssussex@gmail.com
Vectric Apprentice

mtylerfl wrote:The software manual explains Draft and how it is applied. A quick look-up will help you (it’s easy).
I have accessed the online user guide and cannot locate any discussion on draft. I've mastered other skills so once the process is explained I'm sure I'll be able t o implement it. I'm not doing any new components/models until I understand this step.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Copied from the Manual...

Add Draft To Model
For some applications it can be useful to eliminate vertical walls on 3D models, especially if the machined part is intended to be used as the basis for a mold or vacuum forming tool.

The Add Draft tool will automatically add a minimum angle to any steep walls that exist in your model. The draft angle is specified by using the slider or entering a typed value in the form.

When the Apply button is pressed, the tool creates a new 3D Component by baking the visible Components and applying the draft angle across all the walls of the composite model. Note that you do not select the Component/s to apply the draft angle to, just ensure that they are visible in the 3D view. The resulting Component will not have any wall angles that are steeper than the specified draft angle. Once complete, both the original Component/s and the new Component will be visible, although the original may be obscured by the new Component. The Component with the draft angle will be named appropriately indicating the amount of draft that was added. The images below show how a Component looks before and after adding 20° of draft.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

jssussex@gmail.com wrote:
mtylerfl wrote:The software manual explains Draft and how it is applied. A quick look-up will help you (it’s easy).
I have accessed the online user guide and cannot locate any discussion on draft. I've mastered other skills so once the process is explained I'm sure I'll be able t o implement it. I'm not doing any new components/models until I understand this step.
When you open the HTML Online Manual, you will see a menu bar at the bottom of the screen.

Click on the menu item "Single Page". This opens the entire software manual as one looong page.

To search for a topic/item/subject, just press Ctrl+F to open the standard browser search box and type in what you want to search for.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

jssussex@gmail.com
Vectric Apprentice

mtylerfl wrote:
When you open the HTML Online Manual, you will see a menu bar at the bottom of the screen.

Click on the menu item "Single Page". This opens the entire software manual as one looong page.

To search for a topic/item/subject, just press Ctrl+F to open the standard browser search box and type in what you want to search for.
Another AHA moment, I've seen that icon but never clicked on it. Thank you I never understood what 1 page met... now I can search the whole manual..... THANK YOU

Also I had seen the draft icon but it never processed and never clicked on it. You are correct this is a very simple process. Thanks so much. I can now contiune on my journey of a 100,000 steps LOL

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

You are welcome! I try to encourage people to check the manual when a question presents itself. It is very, very thorough and covers every feature of the software.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

Chuck Keysor
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot PRT alpha 60 x 148

Post by Chuck Keysor »

Hello Jim. I may be a day or two late with this. But last time I was struggling with the eternal resolution problem for a large carving design, I made a set of figures that I could refer to to help me figure this out, the next time I needed to figure this out again. These figures show the simulations of various combinations of resolutions and work space size, and it all comes down to how many pixels per square inch you have. If you have a small job size, well then you can go to a lower resolution in order to get the level of detail (ie pixels per square inch) that you want. I hope these figures help. Chuck
Standard Resolution test 11-1-16.JPG
High
High
Very High
Very High
Extreme
Extreme
Maximum
Maximum

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

It's also fully interactive so you can click on the Modeling tab picture on the first page and then click on the Draft icon to drill down into that section.

jssussex@gmail.com
Vectric Apprentice

I thought I would post the resultfor the many people who took the time to provide suggestion that resulted in a huge improvement to this carving. I do not know how to tag people to say thank you but I'd like to thank personally dealguy11, Rcnewcomb, TReischl, mezalick, martin54, mtylerfl and Chuck Keysor. Not only did you help me but this thread will help other in the future.

I did go back through my models and redo each component in 25X at actual size or larger. I have a new computer so the file and tool path generations were not terrible. When this was completed I had made 6 half-size MDF carvings at various stages in the process as well as one full size MDF carving and one "failed" Walnut model (ouch) and this final model. Taking it a step at a time, using the tutorials from Vectric and these experts suggestions I finally persevered. Even after it carved I could see where I make improvements on my next large model.
Image1.jpg
Image2.jpg
20190512_204413_sm.jpg

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Even after it carved I could see where I make improvements on my next large model.
That is part of the risks of the art: I complete something and everyone says "ooo and ahh", whereas I can only see the problems that I want to avoid in the next project.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

That looks really good!

Thanks for getting back to us and letting us know how it turned out.

That is a lot of carving.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns