multiple profile passes without z return or unneeded jogs

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
endgrainguy
Vectric Apprentice

multiple profile passes without z return or unneeded jogs

Post by endgrainguy »

This seems so basic, but I can't figure how to quickly program multiple passes on an on-the-line profile, without having unneeded z clearance moves, and return to start point moves before lowering for next cut. I want to go: Z1d, A to B, Z2d, B to A, Z3d A to B, etc. I can do this manually to the code, or program each pass individually alternating climb and conventional feed, but it seems there must be a way to do this quickly automatically (and I need to do a lot of this). I have Aspire V4.5. Thanks!
I thought this was supposed to make life easier?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: multiple profile passes without z return or unneeded jog

Post by Adrian »

Spiral ramps, alternating end points etc are the usual ways. There is no fully automatic way. If your machine has really slow rapid moves then it might be worth the bother but personally I just leave it as it is.

DLWOODWORKS
Vectric Apprentice

Post by DLWOODWORKS »

endgrainguy wrote:This seems so basic, but I can't figure how to quickly program multiple passes on an on-the-line profile, without having unneeded z clearance moves, and return to start point moves before lowering for next cut. I want to go: Z1d, A to B, Z2d, B to A, Z3d A to B, etc. I can do this manually to the code, or program each pass individually alternating climb and conventional feed, but it seems there must be a way to do this quickly automatically (and I need to do a lot of this). I have Aspire V4.5. Thanks!
Like Adrian says, there's no automatic way to do this. I have jog speeds of 15IPS and when cutting 4x8 sheets of plywood, the unnecessary back and forth can be a bit time consuming, even at 15IPS. It would be interesting to see if this is something the wizkids at Vectric might be able to figure out programmatically.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

DLWOODWORKS wrote:
endgrainguy wrote:This seems so basic, but I can't figure how to quickly program multiple passes on an on-the-line profile, without having unneeded z clearance moves, and return to start point moves before lowering for next cut. I want to go: Z1d, A to B, Z2d, B to A, Z3d A to B, etc. I can do this manually to the code, or program each pass individually alternating climb and conventional feed, but it seems there must be a way to do this quickly automatically (and I need to do a lot of this). I have Aspire V4.5. Thanks!
Like Adrian says, there's no automatic way to do this. I have jog speeds of 15IPS and when cutting 4x8 sheets of plywood, the unnecessary back and forth can be a bit time consuming, even at 15IPS. It would be interesting to see if this is something the wizkids at Vectric might be able to figure out programmatically.
DLWOODWORKS Have you tried using spiral ramps? you would have to tweak the bit settings for it to work like altering the DOC & increasing the plunge rate :lol:

The toolpath generation in Vectric softwarecould be made more efficient, high end production software has options for things like this but then it costs 20x more :lol: :lol:

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

You can also do it by increasing the slot width a tiny amount. I usually use .002, not sure if .001 works. After doing that program a profile toolpath inside the vectors. You can use spiral or regular.

Of course if your slot has to be exactly .25, precisely, perfectly, this will not work with a bit that cuts precisely .25.

But most things are not that fussy and usually some clearance is required anyway.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

Mark
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark, ShopBot, Roland PNC3000

Post by Mark »

Hello endgrainguy,

I am afraid that you cannot really do this with a profile (on) toolpath as it would not be respecting the direction of cut,
but you could instead use the fluting toolpath on the vector, setting the flute type to "Ramp at Start" and the Ramp Length to 0.0.

Cheers,

Mark

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Hmmm:)
Going to have to do an aircut now to get that idea burnt into my brain.
Had never thought about that Mark.
Have to check it out now.
Thanks!
scott
Attachments
Mark's fluting suggestion for profile cuts.jpg
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

endgrainguy
Vectric Apprentice

Post by endgrainguy »

Thanks Mark, that fluting trick works perfectly , giving me exactly what I want with as little work as could be imagined! Saves me tedious manual editing! And I guess this wasn't so basic a question after all. This solution wasn't exactly intuitive, and the other suggestions really were no improvement at all, at least in my situation with my machine. Thanks so much!
I thought this was supposed to make life easier?

rscrawford
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Cobra 408 ATC, ShopSabre IS408

Post by rscrawford »

I'm pretty sure if you profile cut on the line and select 'spiral ramp' it will cut back and forth just like the fluting tool path. I just did that on accident while cutting tonight (didn't mean to select spiral ramp, but it turned out well).
Russell Crawford
http://www.cherryleaf-rustle.com

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Great tip Mark, thank you.

Fluting works as advertised, but Vector Profile on line with spiral ramp almost works :D :D It cuts back and forth 3 times then rapid moves to start then repeats (Strange).
John
Maker of Chips

Tailmaker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Built 4-axis Router

Post by Tailmaker »

If you duplicate your vector, reverse one of the two and join to make it a closed vector (even if the return path is on top of the forward path), then you can run "on" this vector with spiral ramps creating a zigzag downward tool path.
Aspire/Vcarve does not care for such tool paths that vectors are repeating over themselves.
However, make sure to set the plunge rate equal to the horizontal feed rate or it may become a bit slow.
One disadvantage is that the machining depth changes over the length of the vector so I am not sure it will really do the trick of accelerating the process.
BackAndForth.crv
(24.5 KiB) Downloaded 100 times